Monday, May 3, 2021

DJ Interviews: Brass Monkey

Hey there guys DJ Dizzy here. & heres my interview with the band Brass Monkey.


 How'd you get started in music?


I learned guitar from a book & started oerforming at open mic events for a pint. I met loads of really supportive musicians doing this, learning bits here & there from many of them. Eventually I started getting paid cover gigs then originals gigs, supporting Ryan McCombs before the first lockdown.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

The Foo Fighters, The Chili Peppers, Joan Jett, BB King, Steve Vai, Jack Black for his pure love of rock & many others.

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

It's literally impossible to start as I did right now but practice every day in your bedroom & start busking & playing small open mic events as soon as we can get them opened back up. There's no feeling like playing for a crowd. You'll find yourself cringing at every tiny mistake but you'll be so motivated to practice & improve.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I'm lucky to have quite a unique voice & a style that rips off more than 1 genre. It's not fair but sometimes it's better to be recognisable than to be good. There are so many incredible singers that sound very similar to eachother.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Yes, I'm playing the Music For Mental Health Virtual Concert on May 22 for Music's Metaphor alongside US artists Misty Posey and Mellow Knights:


I'm releasing another new single "Dance" on 16 July:


& after lockdown delays I'll be playing my first headliner at Riverside, Newcastle on 17 September:

No comments:

Post a Comment