Saturday, May 1, 2021

DJ Interviews: Billy Blynde Band

Hey there folks, DJ Dizzy here,& this is my interview with the Billy Blynde band. Enjoy 


How'd you get started in music?


I grew up in a musical household. My father was an amateur guitarist and professional Luthier (guitar maker), so I grew up around musicians and jams at home. It wasn't until I got to high school that I actually wanted to play. On my first day at high school, I was 12 years old, I saw the school marching band heading down to go and rehearse while the rest of the school were supposed to go to morning assembly. I asked one of the drummers why the didn't have to go to assemblies  and he said they were exempt - I was sold and started playing marching snare. Never looked back!
I performed as a session drummer, playing big "broadway" shows, like Evita, West Side Story and Sound of Music. I also did session work for radio and TV, as well as playing in a variety of bands.
Lou was always interested in playing, and tried to learn guitar when she was 13 on an old beat up second hand nylon string that was so bad she couldn't even tune it. We started dating when she was 17, and shortly afterwards I borrowed a bass for her so she could jam along with us. 
Since the 1990s, we released a number of albums, some were released independently and some released through major labels. I was fortunate enough to have performed with some big name artists and played some enormous shows and tours.
Only at the end of 2019 we decided to learn guitar, and started recording our debut album in March 2020.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

We have very varied influences when it comes to music, pretty much covering every genre out there. I'd say our biggest influences though, would have to be Red Hot Chili Peppers, ZZ Top, Wishbone Ash and Smashing Pumkins.
Although we've been compared to Cake, the B52s and even Alice Cooper!
We take our influences from all types of music and artists.

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

Be true to yourself musically. Play what you want to play, not what you think people want to hear. 
People will always try criticise and show negativity towards what you're doing, so ignore them totally. If 1 person likes your music, focus on them and ignore those who bring negativity. Playing music should be your artistic expression.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

We don't try fit in with genres. We play the music that naturally comes from us jamming together. We don't try be a "metal" or "grunge" or "blues" band etc. We are what we are, and I think that helps us stand out a bit as we are a bit different. Our aim has never been to "make it" or get signed, so we don't conform to industry standards.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

We are currently recording our second album, which will be out at the end of the year. As we had only been playing a matter of months when we recorded "The Great Muggi Bandits And The Hoo Ha Experience" we feel the follow up will be much better. Lou had been playing guitar for 1 year by the time our debut was released!
All in all, we aim to just have fun making music, and hope others enjoy what we are doing!


Special thanks to them for doing this interview & I wish them luck in their music. So until then I'l catch you on The Flipside!Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment