Saturday, November 28, 2020

DJ Interviews: The Insufferables

Hello one & all DJ Dizzy here & I had the pleasure of sitting down with a punk rock band who answer to the name of The Insufferables who had a lot to share about their humble beginnings & their success. So I proudly present to you The Insuffeerables!


How'd you get started in music?
Gene, lead guitar/songwriter:
I used to play classical guitar, and when I met Carolyn she said " hey you're pretty good, you should play in a rock and roll band" or words to that effect, so we started the Insufferables. 


Carolyn, rhythm guitar/backup/songwriter:
When I was in college in Boulder, Colorado, punk rock exploded and I dropped out of school and started playing bass and then guitar. I moved to NYC to be a punk rocker, but it was so hard to find a place to live that I moved back and started two girl bands, the Profalactics and then the Varve (both bands on Facebook and on Soundcloud). I used my student loan to buy an amp and put out a fanzine. After finishing college, the Varve moved to San Francisco. We played around San Francisco for about 6 years. I  had my guitar in the closet for a bunch of years. I'm an artist and music seemed like a distraction. 

Who are your inspirations or influences?
Gene:
REM, the Beatles, Johnny Marr,  Steve Jones,  Johnny Thunders, so jangle and early punk.  
Carolyn:
Ramones, Beatles, early 60s like Shadows of Knight, Troggs, later Hoo Doo Gurus, and anything with jangle and good backups.


What advice would offer aspiring performers?
Gene: Rehearse for a gig.   
Carolyn: Performing never gets easy for me. It’s like scuba diving. You can’t lose focus for a second or you’re dead.


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
Gene: Age 3 decades before getting on stage.
Carolyn: Yhe Insufferables just hit our 10-year anniversary! Keith, our singer, Ram, our bassist, Gene and I now can musically read each others' minds. Our drummer Kevin, has now been with us for about 5 years. Also, since we now have jobs, it's easier to actually acquire the gear we need.


Any new gigs or albums in the future?  

Gene:
Albums, yes of course.  We are always writing new music. When we get enough new songs that we really like, we'll do another album.  Gigs, we have one after the holidays at a cool surf bar called Winters, in Pacifica, Feb 24, 2020.
Carolyn:
I just wrote a song called the "Devil's Doorbell" that I am excited to record. We have a bunch of songs that have only been done live and then were discarded. Check out our earlier EPs on band camp (https://theinsufferables.bandcamp.com/) or Soundcloud (https://soundcloud.com/the-insufferables)

Special thanks to them for doing this interview & I wish them luck in their music. So until then I'll be seeing you I'll catch you on the flipside! So stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment