Saturday, February 17, 2024

DJ Interviews: Liv Luce

 Heres my interview with Liv Luce




< How'd you get started in music? 

Like a quintessential middle class kid brought up in Middle England, my folks sent me to piano lessons, aged 9.  I was always a bit of an introvert at school so spent most of my breaks in the music rooms playing and composing.  Then aged 12 I plucked up the courage to ask other musicians in my year if they wanted to form a band.  It was then that Suzie (guitarist in my first band Caliber) introduced me to Radiohead and Nirvana.  I learned bass and have played in bands ever since.

<  Who are your inspirations or influences?

Sound-wise I am firmly rooted in the rich heritage of alternative rock and grunge, from Soundgarden, A Perfect Circle to Fugazi, as well as turn of the century classical composers like Debussy and Ravel.  But as a solo artist I admittedly look towards PJ Harvey and Bjork.  I love the way they treat each album as a project through which to explore different aspects of their musical selves and their collaborative potential with other artists and musicians.  

< What advice would you offer aspiring performers? 

 Love what you do.  An audience can tell.

< How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

As a two-piece, we create big sounds with stripped back instrumentation.  The compositions, though melodic, reflect the syncretism of my musical influences, with unusual time signatures and modulating key progressions.  I also have a PhD in history; no doubt it has shaped the way I perceive the world and myself within it, as represented in my lyrics.

< Any new gigs or albums in the future?

My first single Magpie is out on Quickfix Recordings the 29th of March, with an EP soon to follow

Special thanks to her for this interview,  so until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!




No comments:

Post a Comment