Tuesday, June 15, 2021

DJ Interviews: Shimmer Johnson

 How'd you get started in music?

Music has been a part of me since I was a little girl. I started singing with my family and friends when I was just two years old. Singing classic hits from Tanya Tucker and Crystal Gayle. To this day I still love their music. Growing up I performed anywhere I could; talent shows, school assemblies and more. 
In high school I sang in choir with one of the Osmonds children Scott Osmand. I lived in Branson Missouri for my grade 11 and 12. While I was there I performed in my Country band as well as Djing at local places in Branson. At 18 I moved back home to Canada. I started singing in rock bands and listening to more alternative music. I also did some DJ work and learned to sing and write in all types of genres. At 21 I met my co-writer Corey Johnson and the rest is history. We have albums in pop, rock, country, adult contemporary and even R&B. 

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I take influences from all genres. Some of my favourite artists include Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Alanis Morissette. Then later on while living in Branson Missouri, I started listening to Shania Twain, Carrie Underwood, Reba, Linda Davis, Vince Gill and so many more. When I moved back to Canada I got into more rock type music. I loved No Doubt, Alanis Morisette, Tori Amos, Kate Bush and so many more. Lately I have been into more adult contemporary type music like Lauren Daigle, Sarah Mclachlan, Adele, Kelly Clarkson and more. I like to be diverse. I am a multi-genre artist myself. I have albums in all genres. 

What advice would offer aspiring performers?
Never stop doing your art. If it makes you happy then do it. I use music as my own personal diary. When I experience sadness, happiness, frustration and more I find writing a song helps me clear my head. It's great for the soul.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
I think my voice is very unique from everyone. I don't sound like anyone else out there. The way I sing I don't go out of my way to hit crazy high notes if it happens naturally, then it was meant to be. I like to sing with emotion and grace. I like how people are able to connect with music. They are able to insert their lives into my songs. People can feel like I am singing exactly about them and what's happening in their lives. I am also a multi-genre artist and I like to combine genres together to make my unique sound. 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
Right now I am doing a lot of live shows online via TIKTOK. I am looking to do more on INSTAGRAM as well. Live shows currently in Canada are not possible due to the Covid 19 pandemic. I am hoping things are back to normal in 2022. 

No comments:

Post a Comment