Monday, December 5, 2022

DJ Interviews: Anburu Band

 Here;s my interview with metal band, Anburu who shared with me their humble beginnings.

Kaliban: Thanks for the interview Dizzy! I guess I should introduce the band. I'm Kaliban Tibia, the guitarist. Ego Regnabo is our vocalist. Professor Gigglesworthe plays bass. Our drummer, Üblek Püterson is unavailable for interview. He keeps saying he's on a mission from God, but personally, I think he's just locking himself in a room and endlessly playing Skyrim. Anyway, let's get to the questions.

How'd you get started in music?

Ego: Piano lessons to justify my mother’s purchase of said instrument.  Which she couldn’t play. And still can’t.  Either that or the music industrial complex forcing a recorder on me in grade school.

Kaliban: It started way back in elementary school and playing the flutophone, which evolved into playing saxophone. Then, listening to Black Sabbath, KISS and Queen made me want to pick up the guitar. The rest is history.

Gigglesworthe: I had some interest when I was younger, I even tried to play trumpet and cello in school, but neither one was really for me. In high school I befriended a couple guys in a band, and the bass player was wanting to switch to drums. I learned how to play bass and really enjoyed the music we making. I haven't stopped since.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Ego: Musically, Carcass, old school Swedish death metal, Mozart, Bach, Fields of Nephilim…ad naseum.  Personally…My fathers, the Heavenly one and the mortal one.

Kaliban: Better to say what are my influences? Everything. Yahweh and Yeshua. Other musicians (the list would be quite extensive. A single listening session for me can go from Motorhead to Madchild to Shakespeare's Sister to Behemoth). Nature. Traffic. The rhythm of a factory. The sounds in an emergency room. Even a good horror movie.

Gigglesworthe: My biggest influences early on were Cliff Burton, Les Claypool, and Flea. Band wise I'd have to go with Soundgarden, Mr. Bungle, Black Sabbath as my big three. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Ego: Consider it work.

Kaliban: No matter what, never quit on your dream. Life happens and you always need a backup plan, but if you quit, give up, you will regret it for the rest of your life.

Gigglesworthe: Don't be afraid to try anything. If you struggle playing a song, slow down and make the transitions with your fingers feel smooth before speeding back up. It will save you tons of time and frustration!

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

Ego: We have a different name than other bands.  The whole point of having a name isn’t it.

Kaliban: We usually just stand farther away because metal musicians usually smell pretty bad (laughing). I think we set ourselves apart by not trying to do so. We let our songs write themselves and that's all we need. Our costumes do help on a psychological level though.

Gigglesworthe: Personally I don't try to set myself apart, other than just embracing whatever quirks in playstyle and musical arrangement we might have.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Ego: Probably.

Kaliban: We are strictly a studio band, so no upcoming gigs. We will be releasing a new single soon, then locking ourselves in the studio for the next few months for our as of yet, unnamed album.

Gigglesworthe: What Kaliban just said.

No comments:

Post a Comment