Monday, July 19, 2021

DJ Interviews: DJ Skylump

 


How'd you get started in music?

Hi, thanks for this interview :) I'm starting to DJ'ing in 1990 in a local Club's in a little town in Italy called Rovereto (TN),
with the legendary Technics 1200.
In the 1993 starting to compose music with a PC and a SoundBlaster Sound Card and a Tracker.
At that time, Internet was in its infancy, there were no social networks and the web had just
come out, people were still communicating via modems and BBSs, and music composed via this
sub-world was spreading.
It was the time of Demoscene an international computer art subculture focused on producing demos:
self-contained, sometimes extremely small, computer programs that produce audiovisual presentations.
Demos and other demoscene productions (graphics, music, videos, games) are shared at festivals known
as demoparties, voted on by those who attend and released online...
In the 1994 I founded the largest Italian Demoscene Music Group the SKYJUMP TEAM.
From 1993 to 1996 I made dozen of Tracks most influenced from 90s UK Techno, Rave, Hardcore, Jungle, Bigbeat, BreakBeat scene,
and I also did some video game soundtracks of the time. In 1997 I stopped and moved on to other things.  
In 1997 I stopped and devoted myself to something else.
In 2020 he resumed composing music with modern DAWs, thus beginning another adventure...


Who are your inspirations or influences?

As said before the UK Techno, Rave, Hardcore, Jungle, Bigbeat, BreakBeat scene, the most famous 90s groups
like The Prodigy, Orbital, Orb, T99, N-Joy , N-joi, Bizzare Inc, Dj Seduction, SL2, and nowadays I am very
influenced by progressive house music..


What advice would offer aspiring performers?

You only write music when you are inspired, you don't have to write a track every month.
Rather than producing a poor track, it is better not to produce one at all. Once you have a good track, listen to it for at least a month to
see if you don't get bored with it.
Be original, don't try to copy the latest music but create your own style and experiment with new ways.


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?


I have my own style, I have been producing music for more than 30 years and I do it just for fun.
I'm independent and I will remain so. I don't like to produce on commission so I can't be under contract :)


Any new gigs or albums in the future?

No, no gigs from me, I'm not looking for fame,
but I produce as I said before just for fun.
 I think albums are a thing of the past, nowadays it's better to produce single tracks,
so maybe a "Best of" collection. I will continue to produce single tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment