Wednesday, July 21, 2021

DJ Interviews: AP Tobler

 


How'd you get started in music?

I started playing music when I was 8. I was quite an energetic and aggressive kid, and I really wanted to do some form of martial arts, but when my mom told me I couldn’t hit other people, I turned to drums! I fell in love with music, particularly Nirvana and the rest of the 90’s grunge scene.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Most of my songs are really grungy, but my latest song have more of a Green Day punk vibe. I have a track on my upcoming EP that’s more influenced by heavier artists, and includes an unexpected breakdown. I’m inspired by bands like Nirvana, Destroy Boys, and Weezer.

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

As cheesy as it sounds, be yourself! You can’t get caught up in being artificial. If you’re authentic, people will tend to like you. Just go for it!

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I’m just being honest and authentically me, this is how I dress, how I act, and the music is influenced by some of my favorite artists. I talk a lot about mental health in my music, which is a subject that still has a lot of stigma around it.  I hope that folks with similar struggles can hear my music and feel less isolated. Another unique feature of my music is that all of the the parts are written and played by me.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

I just started gigging again and it’s been fantastic! I just played a show down at the Prima Vera Roadhouse, which was super fun. Video of the performance will be available on YouTube soon. Finally, I have an EP coming out on July 14th! The EP is called Alternate Vision and has 5 tracks.

No comments:

Post a Comment