Wednesday, June 29, 2022

DJ Interviews: Sonic X band

Heres my interview with band, Sonic X enjoy!

How'd you get started in music? - I started playing in my early teens, at first I wanted to be a guitar player so I took classical guitar lessons for a short time. That didn't last too long as I really just wanted to learn guitar so I can ROCK OUT! However, the friends I was playing with also wanted to play guitar so I decided to switch to bass guitar instead. It turned out to be a great decision as there was always a shortage of bass players so it was easy to find bands to play with as bass players were in demand. 
As I got older I was the one who always started bands so I would say playing bass has served me well.

Who are your inspirations or influences? As a Bass player, I was really intrigued by John Entwistle from the Who, he had such a unique style and sound that I was really drawn to. Of course there are so many great players out there, I also really love John Paul Jones and Steve Harris from a hard rock perspective. Then of course the greats like Stanley Clarke and Jaco Pastorius. I was a roadie for Stanley Clarke for 1 show in my teens and I was blown away and was influenced and motivated from him after that.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers? I would say to put yourself out there. Play in from of people as much as you can and start early on. It builds confidence and also gives you the poise to pull off a great live show. Also, don't get rattled if you make a mistake as in most cases people don't even notice, people hear with their eyes on most live settings so if you show you made a mistake, people will notice more...own the stage!!!

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands? Sonic X is a collaborative effort and we all bring a unique style to the writing and performance of our music. What sets us apart is that we own the process from start to finish, we write the songs, we produce and engineer our songs and albums. We control the whole process so we are very fortunate. A lot of bands have to book studio time and then are at the mercy of the engineer or producer to interpret how the band wants to sound then try to make it all work. We know how we want to sound and get that sound. Joey Greco, our singer/drummer, is a very accomplished Engineer/Producer and has a vast knowledge of how studio gear works. We are very fortunate to be able to have all the control we have.

Any new gigs or albums in the future? At the moment we are working on a new album that will be released in January 2023. We realize we just released a new album in January 2022, however, we have a ton of new songs that we've written and are anxious to get out to the fans. We are currently reviewing any shows that come our way. We may venture out and do some shows before the new album is released, right now that's up in the air, but after the new album is released we will definitely be out there playing shows.

Bonus question: How'd you come up with your band name? Sonic X meaning is Sonic - which means sound and X which is the Roman numeral for 10, which is the time between when the band broke up, then re-joined to form Sonic X. We were previously called L.A. when the band broke up in 1994, then we reformed 10 years later in 2004 when we released our 1st album under the name Sonic X. Our 1st album called "Sonic X" was released with a now defunct label called "Z Records" and is a hard album to find!


No comments:

Post a Comment