Saturday, May 28, 2022

DJ Interviews: Mad Wet Sea

Hey there all itsDJ Dizzy & here's my interview with the band Mad Wet Sea!


How'd you get started in music?
When I was a wee Jotunn, I was told that I needed to learn an instrument. My father played guitar, so it was an easy decision. It became, and still is, an obsession. Writing music came later in life. I learned to play by ear, strumming with the radio or tv. I have had the privilege of playing in a couple area bands, and decided as one band was on its last leg, to join my brother Ægir, and do our own thing. Four EP's and some covers later, I'd say we're doing alright!


Who are your inspirations or influences?
Growing up, there were two radio station i was able to listen to; country and oldies rock. This was before the days of whatever they call Country music today was on the airwaves. It wasn't until High School that I found rock. Since that time, my heroes have been, Ian Thornley (Big Wreck) massively talented guitarist and vocalist (check out The Oaf, great song!), Zakk Wylde (his work with Ozzy, but specifically BLS has shaped my playing and sound), Joe Walsh (he has an incredible catalog of music and is a wicked guitarist), and Slash (because, well, Slash). Others I've been digging would be Pink Floyd, Jason Isbell, Blackberry Smoke, Mastodon, and Dio. I believe that you should be versed in all things/aspects to properly understand and hone your craft. Side note...Thornley tried out for, and could've been in, Velvet Revolver...he's that good!


What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
If I were to impart some knowledge, I could say a few things.
Don't give up, and don't give in. Stay true to you! You know what you want; don't let anyone distract you, or misdirect you. Criticism is just a different form of a compliment.
I spent a lot of time playing with the radio and tv, building my rhythm playing. I didn't spend enough time practicing lead playing. Make sure you embrace all aspects of your instrument to fully appreciate how it works
Lastly, get out and play with people. While playing with the radio built my playing, jamming with people and playing in bands took it further and expanded it. These are learning oppurtunities; even if all it is, is a jam, or a failed band tryout, these experiences of playing with others tightens your playing, and builds your contact base as well

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
This is an interesting question. I have told my billow maiden that the best thing to do, is not pay attention to what others are doing; keep your eyes on your own path. Let's be honest, I can't sing like my heroes (check out Sun Goes Down on our The Sirens Call EP if you want your ears to bleed) and I can't shred like any of my heroes. What I can do, is play and write like me. There is no one else like me, so I need to embrace that. I stay true to myself, the direction of the band, and don't worry about being a lemming and jumping off a bridge because someone else did it. I think we can all attest that there's enough commercial bands doing the lemming bit, which is the great thing about the indie scene. These bands are cutting their own path, through this crowded jungle, forging their own career with some fantastic music. We need more indie, and less commercialized music in the world! If you listen to our music, its rough and unpolished; very punk rockish. We believe that music has gotten too generic, too commercialized, we need the outlaws back in music again!


Any new gigs or albums in the future?
Indeed! On June 6, 2022 our fouth EP called ...the Noise of Thunder! Is being released! It's available for pre-order everywhere (except our bandcamp page) and will be on all streaming platforms as well. It wasn't meant to be a concept EP like The Sirens Call (our second EP), but the songs worked out to follow a falling out between friends, followed by Darkness spreading across the world along with destruction. After the ashes fell, the Horsemen of the Apocalypse return to reclaim the land. The EP was mixed and mastered by Jorg Klein at MX-Pro records out of Germany
As for gigs, well, that's the plan. We have been slowly jamming and getting ready. COVID really threw a wrench into things, but we hope to have the ship on the water, to spread the Sea soon!

If I was to get you to check out one song on each EP, I would suggest:
My Final Vow from Freedom
God of War from The Sirens Call
Free from Champion the Abyss
The Horsemen from ...the Noise of Thunder!

No comments:

Post a Comment