Saturday, April 16, 2022

DJ Interviws: A Band Called Paul

 Here's my interview with a Band called Paul there are links below for their music so feel free to have a look



How'd you get started in music?
It started for me at a very young age, which is a long time ago. My mum tells stories of an infant me arranging cardboard boxes into drums on the doorstep and banging them with knitting needles. I started taking drum lessons aged 7 and progressed to orchestral percussion lessons in my teens, at which time I was playing in youth orchestras and school rock bands. I subsequently got a percussion job in one of the two professional orchestras here in Ireland. All this time I was also playing and touring with rock bands and writing music for TV, film and theatre.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
My earliest influence is The Beatles. My formative years were spent to a soundtrack of punk and new wave, leading into synth rock. And playing in the orchestra exposed me to a while range of repertoire from jazz through musicals and, naturally, the 'classical' composers from Bach to Prokofiev. It all now mixes in one cauldron of influence and is the root of how and why I jump between genres, or merge them, a lot.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
Try to not compare yourself to other artists - there's room for everyone and everyone develops at their own pace. And take regular breaks to regain perspective and recharge your batteries.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
Probably most of all in the mix of genres that I blend together. It's quite unique and it has often been remarked that I have a distinctive sound as a result.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
As of April 2022 I'm currently putting a live band in place, now that the pandemic restrictions have subsided. The next step is to take that band on the road to perform my existing catalogue of tracks while also working on a second album. I'm also currently working on a third collaboration with my good friend, the American rapper JoeliD.




No comments:

Post a Comment