Friday, April 8, 2022

DJ Interviews: Afterrover

 Here's my interview with the band Afterover


How'd you get started in music?
I loved music growing up - and taught myself guitar as a result, so it's been a lifelong immersion perhaps.  Various types of music over the years, but this band has been a new path for me.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
For Afterover, it's all instrumentally inspired, so bands such as Boards of Canada, Mogwai, Godspeed, Squarepusher, Tortoise, Tycho and so on.  Unlike past bands, there are no vocals and the pace is a lot more chilled, and for some odd reason I found the change a relief in current times.  But perhaps some future tracks will have guest vocals to a limited extent and for that, bands like Portishead, Purple Penguin and Tricky might come to mind.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
Just keep doing it and do not expect anything. You never know what others might like, so just get it all out there for yourself and for your own memories.  An added bonus is that in this day and age - you can be yourself, or a variety of personas.  Explore sounds.  This current project sounds nothing like my other bands past, and so I keep it quite separate.  

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
It was inspired during the last couple of years and in isolation, so I am hoping that it connects to people who have had similar anxieties in recent years due to the state of the world today.  I felt like I rediscovered instrumental music in recent times, to find it relaxes me and clears my mind after a long day.  

Any new gigs or albums in the future
EP release later in April. LP release end of year.  Both will be available on 
https://open.spotify.com/artist/233gkethfRUjEd4owVCOcR and https://afterover.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment