Friday, April 29, 2022

DJ Interviews: Keyon Harris

 Heres my interview with Keyon Harris


How'd you get started in music?


I always had a love and passion for music. I started writing songs at the age of 11. I rediscovered my passion over 8 years ago and started back writing songs again. An one day I said I am going to try and record what I wrote. What do I have to lose. I played my song to my uncle and he liked it. He told me that I had some real talent. He told me to keep it up, and so I did. I have been recording now for a little over 5 years. I've accumulated a couple of awards and a certificate along the way, so I believe I made the correct decision.



Who are your inspirations or influences?

My uncle inspired me continue doing this. There has been numerous amounts of time that I have wanted to quit, but I always remember how much he believed in me and my talents so I keep sticking with it. As far my musical influence, I am a really huge fan of Gary Clark Jr. I love his work, and he is who I try to emulate my music after.



What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Believe in yourself. Do not let anyone tell you that you can't do something. Work extremely hard, and be very patient. Things don't happen overnight usually, so you have to have that perseverance to make it through. An lastly, always be aware of scammers. Just because something sounds really good, doesn't mean it is. Be careful with who you trust. Never rush into anything. All lessons are not free.



How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

What sets me apart from the other artists is the fact that I do everything myself. I write my own songs. I make my own beats/melodies. I mix my own songs. I'm very hands on in all of my work. I have complete control of the whole entire creative process. Plus all of my songs tell real life stories. Lastly I taught myself how to sing. I've never had a vocals lesson or anything. I'm still learning.



Any new gigs or albums in the future

Yes I am working on several projects at the moment. I hope to release them in the upcoming months. I have one called Get Smacked. It's a little freestyle type Rap song. Then there is one called Blessed. It is a very upbeat bluesy type song. Along with Like a Rock, another blues song. An Rooftop Sittin, which is kind of a love R&B song. So as you can see, there is a lot of music for me to release. I just have to get to it haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment