Sunday, April 17, 2022

DJ Interviews: Ten Eighty Trees

 Here's my interview wih the band Ten Eughty Treeswho shared their musical origins with me'



How'd you get started in music?

I don't particularly come from a very musical family. My parents would play music around the house when I was growing up like Prince, The Rolling Stones & Roxy Music but neither played instruments. It was only after I saw my uncle playing guitar that I thought 'oh, that looks cool, I fancy a bit of that' getting my own guitar not long after when I was about 10. Music still felt like something that superhumans did and not really something a slightly chubby kid from Gateshead could do for a long time after that. But after hearing American Idiot when I was 13 something just clicked and I just started putting everything into playing, writing and listening to music. It was so inspiring hearing these songs that you could actually play and sing along without having to have the chops of Slash or the endless guitar effects of The Edge. I've really never looked back since.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Obviously Green Day were a huge influence in my formative years but I'd also sight acts like Gorillaz, Foo Fighters, Scissor Sisters, Franz Ferdinand as well. They were all some of the first albums I bought that housed some of the most amazingly catchy songwriting, which is something I still try and emulate when writing for Ten Eighty Trees to this day. A memorable tune is worth its weight in gold to me. If I write something and it's not stuck in my head for the next day or two I know it's probably not going to be a one worth keeping. 

Inspiration can strike at any moment and come from the most unlikely places as well. Smartphones have been an absolute savour in that sense. I make little voice notes and written notes on my phone all the time, a lot of which lead to full Ten Eighty Trees songs. There's a lot of ramblings and half baked ideas on there too though. Honestly, if I ever got my phone nicked they just think they'd robbed a mad man given the daft little bits of songs that are stored on there. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Have a nice time, as much of the time as possible. When you stop having a nice time, change it up and do something else. Life's too short to flog a dead horse. 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I don't think we consciously try to be different from what else is out there. That in itself would probably end up sounding quite contrived and forced. We just do what we like, writing catchy tunes that rock, making a lot of noise in the process. I guess our image sets us apart a little, all wearing our turquoise blue clobber on stage. The fact we all wear the same thing is slightly unusual as well, but we like how this makes us feel like a gang, all in this together, no one is bigger than the band, all dressed the same. Like some kind of Hard Rock Devo. 

Any new gigs or albums in the future

We have a few festivals coming up over the summer and a short stint up in Scotland in May which we're excited to get over the border for. We also have a new release on the horizon that'll likely really test our fanbase to their limits as it's like nothing we've ever done before. But we're staying TenEightyTight lipped on that for now and you'll have to keep an eye on our socials for more info coming soon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment