Friday, February 18, 2022

DJ Interviews: Fumiki Yagi

 Here's my interview with singer Fumi kiYagi


How'd you get started in music?

It was quite natural to pick up music as my parents were musicians (but not performing artists).  Of cause I hated the piano when mum forced me to practice at the age of 4 or 5. It didn't take long to give up but it was good to develop basic understanding when young. 
As teenager, I was trying to play guitar until I lost a game with band mates to pick up bass, as a band didn't need 3 guitarists.  If I had won the game, I would have picked up the bass to continue music upto now.  



Who are your inspirations or influences?

Basically I listen to almost all the genres.  As a bass player, jazz has the biggest influence, such as Chic Corea band (I really don't like his piano but the rhythm sections he brought were alway great).  Also Ambien music, like Brian Eno, has some impact as well.  Recent years, I'm listening to deep house / ambient techno, especially after getting turn table.   In term of rock / metal, it's quite old but I still like Ministry, especially their live album, " in case you don't feel like showing up. " 



What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

To be honest, I don't have a particular advise as everyone has his / her own personality and style.  I can't make my own tracks when I have other issues in life, but some musicians take advantage of accident or misfortunes. That's why my opinion doesn't alway work to others, and wise versa can be true.  Only thing I may be able to tell is to open to anything and try to expand own boundaries. 


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I don't stick to any particular style and adaptable.  I may change genre or style whenever I like even though it may not be good in term of marketing and consistency. 


Any new gigs or albums in the future

I'm working on lo-fi hip-hop jazz / fusion at the moment. It's more or less like getting back to basics or starting point as a bass player. Hopefully I can come up with something for gig by May or June , a bit after snow season is over. 

No comments:

Post a Comment