Thursday, January 27, 2022

DJ Interviews: Starlight Band

 

Hey there everyone, here's my interview with the singer named Chris who plays in a band called Starlight. Enjoy!



How'd you get started in music?
I was 7 years old and we used to spend Saturday mornings visiting my grandfather. They had an upstairs room they used to store all kinds of things and it was never heated. I found an acoustic guitar with a vinyl record that said "Learn to play guitar." I've played ever since. I don't think I started singing until high school when we could never find a vocalist. I naively thought if I wrote the music no one would know if I messed up while singing it so I stepped up to the mic. 

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I think just about everything is an inspiration or influence. I love most genres of music and I look at each one as a way to learn something new. I've really embraced synths, sound effects, and loops in my music which isn't typical for my genre because I listen to so much. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
You have to practice and surround yourself with better musicians. I never want to be the best in the room- I hope I am the worst! That way you get good feedback, you learn new things, and you are pushed to go beyond your limits. If you do that everyday there's no helping the fact that you will improve. Hold on to your beliefs, but find a producer you trust. Remember someone with 20 or 30 years more experience than you has certainly done something right.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
I think I've matured as a songwriter and in arrangements. My path took me from NY Hardcore, to punk, to pop-punk and emo. You can't perform that stuff anymore once you get out of your 20's so I tried to take those genres and push them towards a more mature sound. The elements are still there, but lyrics are deeper and less focused on the immediate and the arrangements are more sophisticated now. 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

We just released Push Me - a short power pop tune. We have 3 more singles scheduled to release through June!0

No comments:

Post a Comment