Monday, March 29, 2021

DJ Interviews: Chief Freely

 Hey there guys, DJ Dizzy here & here's my interview with Chief Freely! Enjoy!

Born in Detroit, Michigan, Chief Freely quickly realized he had a passion for music starting at a young age. After relocating to Nashville, Tennessee, this love of both hip-hop and metal music grew as he began writing and performing his early hip-hop songs at the local level. After a brief time performing as a single hip-hop artist, he began to collaborate with fellow metal lovers and friends. This led to the formation of metalcore band, Destroy by Design (DBD).

 

As the lead vocalist and songwriter for DBD, he was able to expand his vocal range from his traditional hip-hop flow to the guttural screams and growls loved by metalheads. DBD produced numerous singles and a single self-titled album. The band was also a frequent presence on the Nashville live music scene in addition to a multi-state tour the band was able to experience. Unfortunately, DBD eventually disbanded after members decided to pursue other career options.

 

Chief Freely also took time to pursue a career in IT but continued to feel this strong need to follow his passion for music. His love for both metal and hip hop influenced the introduction of Chief Freely. Self-described as a hip-hop vocalist with metal influences, Chief Freely seeks to create a unique sound that can be appreciated by both genres. Currently, he is working on his first album as Chief Freely. This album will be titled “Music for Rebels” and will release in late-2021.

 

Until that time, Chief Freely will be releasing singles such as the first two that have already been released. Collaborating with other artists to diversify his sound, he hopes to not only spread his music, but also a message with his powerful lyrics. As a political and social issue advocate, he wants to tell his audience that issues plaguing the United States and the world can be discussed in any format.


How'd you get started in music?

 

I was born in Detroit, and I grew up having a passion for the local hip-hop scene. That led me to work on hip-hop music as a teenager. I also loved metal, so I was able to expand my vocal range to be the vocalist for the Nashville-based metal band, Destroy By Design. DBD eventually disbanded, but my passion for both metal and hip-hop led me to start recording under the name Chief Freely.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

 

Hip-hop influences:

·       Twiztid

·       Esham

·       House of Krazees

·       Tech N9ne

·       Bionic Jive

 

Metal influences:

·       Rage Against the Machine

·       Deftones

·       Architects

·       Sevendust

 

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

 

Don’t be afraid to find your own unique sound. You should embrace the music you like performing, so don’t change your music to fit what you think other people will like. By being original, you can pursue your passion and find those listeners who appreciate your unique sound.

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

 

I think my vocal sound is unique compared to other artists. I focus on hip-hop, but I also incorporate metal and other vocal styles in my songs. I don’t let a genre define me. I do what I feel like doing in my songs because I love creating music and want to find other people who enjoy how I create music.

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

 

I will be releasing a new single every month until the end of the year. My next single, Imaginary Lines featuring Dropout Kings, releases on Friday (3/19). I don’t have any shows booked at this moment due to COVID restrictions, but I hope to book some dates once things get back to normal.


Special thanks to him for doing this interview & I wish him luck in his music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment