Saturday, August 12, 2023

DJ Interviews: Kate Stanton

 Here's my interview with legendaary singer Kate Stranton as she sat down with me to discuss her musical upbringing''


How'd you get started in music?
As far back as I can remember, I have loved to sing. My father has told me that I would climb onto things and sing gibberish as a toddler. I would walk the fields and creeks behind my house just to get away and sing to myself. At around age 10, I started choreography to my floor routine music in gymnastics. I had so much fun creating the dance and tumbling passes to instrumentals! This instilled the idea that perhaps I could create my own songs. One of the first songs I wrote was called “Come Back”. I had recorded my brother’s video game music, wrote lyrics and a top line melody, then shared the cassette tape with my friends at gymnastics. In my teens, I worked at a record store and started to save my money for guitar lessons. At 17, I played an original acoustic number called “An Ode to Caterina” at a coffee house called Strange Brew for a going away party for an exchange student. In my 20s, I wrote songs with a good friend and indie band out of Columbus, Ohio. I did some coffeehouse gigs here and there. I am proud of the co-writing I did with longtime friend Marianne Kesler in our songwriting duo Every Lovely Thing. Since the pandemic, I’ve been trying to find my own way. I’ve been experimenting and collaborating with other artists. I’ve been trying to grow as a writer and as a person.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
My first thought is Tori Amos. I found her music during a dark period in my life. I felt like she was a friend that understood! This is the power of music. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
I believe all artists must wrestle with fear. If you have a song in your heart, it’s not a mistake that it is there. Share it with us. The pain of regret for not trying is worse than the pain of making mistakes. Do it anyway! :)

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
I have a deep need to spread hope. I want to live more authentically and encourage others to be their true selves. I sincerely hope my music inspires people and soothes them after a rough day.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
I am currently working on a cycle of songs called “Ghosts & Angels”. I’m also hoping to continue working on new material. I will let you know when I have an upcoming gig!

No comments:

Post a Comment