Tuesday, October 4, 2022

DJ Interviews: Mathius

 Heres my interview with French singer/ songwriter Mathius



How'd you get started in music?

 

First, I started with writing a lot of lyrics, or more like short poems. Indeed, it was kind of a way to escape my mind...

Then, at the age of 11, I took piano lessons.

My older brother and I started playing music together and that's how we convinced our parents to buy us a drum set. So, we started writing together.

Self-taught, I learned to play guitar, bass and ukulele. Mainly grunge music, but also metal, rock and pop music.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

 

                This question is quite tough to answer as far as I'm concerned both really and personally.

I'd say the British music scene during the early 90's had a big impact on me.

Bands like Suede, Blur etc.., and the grunge wave with Alice in Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

What I prefer the most are dramatic and big arrangements. If there are romantic and melancholic vibes: I'm all in.

Radiohead, Kraftwerk, Pixies, Jeff Buckley are some of my house gods.

They all have inspired so many bands/artists around the globe.

 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

 

If producing and writing takes on real meaning for you then you will be able to transmit this same feeling to others. Try to tell a story, not only with the lyrics. What emotion do you want to deliver to the listener?

Continue to write as much as possible. Take a notebook, record your work and inspiration somehow. Then it's there. Later, decide if it's a wrap or not. Finally, try to develop your skills and listen to a lot of music from various styles/genres.

 

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

 

Long story short, I do the whole process myself.

I play all the instruments, I sing, write the lyrics and record the music by myself.

This is very rare these days in the music industry.

I have a wide knowledge of many musical genres.

In the future, I will release other and various styles.

Also, I believe I have a singular vocal signature and my melodies are catchy and direct.

Finally, my music is dreamy and takes the listener on a journey to places previously unknown to him.

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?


No gigs are forecasted for today, unfortunately. I prefer to focus on my home studio and release music on a regular basis.

Hopefully, in the future, I will get some dates to perform live sessions. A single is planned for this November normally. It will be in English and up-tempo. Let’s bet it will be a killer tune!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment