Friday, November 12, 2021

DJ Intervoews: Unknown Reality

 

Here's my interview with Unknown Reality who shared their musical origins

1) Before I started making beats I was just writing rap lyrics for fun. I would take instrumentals I found on the internet and write songs to them. Then one day I ran across a demo of Fruity Loops 3 or 4 and instantly fell in love with it. Even though the beat I made sucked lol it was fun. I couldn’t afford to buy beats at the time so I figured I could just use this to make my own. I’ve been making music ever since.

2) My influences are DJ Premier, J Dilla and other golden era boom bap producers. What inspired me to start making chillhop, downtempo lofi music was a few years ago was listening to artists such as Gramatik, Emancipator, Vanilla and Bonobo on Digitally Imported internet radio. 

3) Some advice I would give to upcoming artists/producers is don’t take rejection personally. Everyone isn’t gonna like your music but that doesn’t mean they’re insulting you as a person. Focus more on those who luv and support you and continue to work on improving your craft. Everything else will eventually fall into place. Also try to have a positive mindset and ignore anything and or anyone that isn’t adding value to your life. 

4) I think what sets my apart from the rest is I try not follow trends or copy other artists style. A lot of ppl tell me that my music doesn’t sound like what’s popular in the lofi chillhop scene. I’m always inspired by what different artists are doing as far sound selection, arranging etc., but I try to do it in my own way so that whenever you hear a track from me, you get an experience. I’m not afraid to try new things and experiment because that’s where the beautiful accidents happen lol. Also I try to give my tracks inspirational motivational title names as well design my cover artwork to reflect the title to give the listener something to think about as they’re looking at the cover and listening to the track.

5) Yeah I just recently released another EP called “ Being Myself “ a few weeks ago. I’m currently working on 2 more projects. The first is “ UR Essential 2” and the other is “ Eleva South 2 “ which both are follow ups to EPs I dropped last year. I don’t know which one I’m releasing first but whichever one gets done first. Hopefully I’ll say by the end of this month or sometime in December. 

Special thanks to them for this interview & so until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment