Thursday, December 24, 2020

DJ Interviews: Alan Young

 Hey there guys its your old friend The DJ & this is my interview with Alan Young


 

How'd you get started in music?

I was given instruments and music-related stuff at an early age and I enjoyed playing them even though I didn’t have lessons. I was fortunate to have natural rhythm and could learn by ear very quickly. I learned everything I needed to know by just listening to certain songs I liked over and over again and again to get the notes and chords of the songs right. First instrument I ever played was a keyboard, then I moved to drums and then guitar, bass and so on and so forth. I later had singing lessons and still have them now.

The first song I ever learned on a guitar was "Long Slow Goodbye" by Queens of the Stone Age. And then about a year later, I became a Deep Purple/Ritchie Blackmore superfan.

I got my dad when I was six and he has always been one of my major inspirations in music. He used to be a guitar player in two heavy metal bands in the '90s called The Batmans and The Professors.  I get on really well with my dad, he helped me find where I belong in music.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

My top influences are Queen, The Killers, Take That, Muse, ELO, Keane, The Feeling, Scouting for Girls and Van Halen.

 

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

Well, the title for one of my songs was written on a flight back from Spain. I don't know why, the title just appeared in my head. I then scribbled down some gibberish lyrics that didn't make any sense whatsoever and years later I give the lyrics some music and I try the song by its newly-found form and performing it live on stage at the open mic nights just evolved the song a lot more than I expected it to be. So, I think one of my tips is just to carry on writing songs even though they sound gibberish.

When performing, as long as you are really rehearsed then you’ll perform well. Even if you play or sing a bad note, no one remembers as long as the majority is good. Make sure you aren’t just standing about on stage, make it a show. And think of something interesting or funny to say between songs and rehearse that as much as your set so you keep people entertained.

 

How do you set yourself apart from other bands or singers?

Well, I play all the instruments. I sing, arrange harmonies, write the music and lyrics and I produce and mix it as well all in my very own studio. I do nearly all of the creative process that only a few musicians get to do. I like to mix Killers-style synth music with Brian May-like guitar harmonies with some hints of Take That into it which is quite unusual. My musical perspective (as well as my perspective for everything) is neuro-diverse so I find it easier to do everything as it brings my musical vision together faster. I do still enjoy collaborating however and have performed on songs for Urban Viking/Blind Orb and Sam Hepworth. I also write and perform in bands such as Live Transmission, Paria, Our Ransom and Dental Misorder on various instruments.

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future

Well I do have some gigs planned definitely next year but as all our music venues in the UK are currently closed it’s difficult to say exactly when for definite it will be. But it WILL be! I do live stream on my Instagram @meatbehindabeat for now and do a musical extravaganza every six weeks or so.  

I am releasing a Christmas single called Snow Globe, and a Christmas EP as well, both aimed for release at the beginning of December. They will be on all major platforms to stream.


Special thanks to him for doing this interview & I wish him lots of luck on his success & so until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment