Tuesday, July 18, 2023

DJ Interviews: Oxai Roura

 Here's my interview with singer, Oxai Roura



How'd you get started in music?

I started music as a drummer when I was 2,5/3 years old. In fact, my late father initiated me to the art of drumming. As a kid, I also loved to sing. I never stopped drumming and singing ever since; even if, on my musical path, I also learnt other instruments such as guitars, piano, electronic instruments... and many different traditional instruments from planet Earth (such as Senza, Kalimba, Congas, Djembe etc.).


Who are your inspirations or influences?

When I was a teenager I listened to different kinds of metal music (Thrash, Death, Grindcore…); My favorite metal band is Cynic (Progressive Metal) their album named Focus is incredible ! Then, later I seriously thought of becoming a jazz man, because creators such as John Coltrane, Steve Coleman, Ornette Coleman & Thelonious monk impressed me a lot with their original concepts & creations. I’ve also been deeply influenced by Minimal Music (with composers such as Steve Reich and Lamonte Young) and original electronic music (composers such as Björk and Aphex Twin). Dub Music is also another strong influence that I have…and, of course, I must not forget to mention sacred traditional music from various parts of the world ( such as Africa, Amazonia, Himalayas...) !


Also, I would like to say that my growth as an artist have been influenced not only by musicians and composers, but also by other types of artists like Baba Credo Mutwa, David Lynch and Salvador Dali.



What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Keep a deep and unbreakable faith in life and in yourself. Stay focused on love, joy and light. You are a unique being. No one else can offer to the world what is hidden deep inside of your heart and soul. Cultivate honesty and integrity towards yourself and towards the audience.  Cherish your dream(s) and believe, with all your heart and soul, in yourself, and in your dream(s)... even if nobody else do so. Self love and love of all beings and life are keys for real & durable success... and for a good holistic life !

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

In truth, I don't compare myself to anyone else. What is the point, what is the use? The fact is that I'm very intensely working on one goal, at least since 2003 ( with my very first solo project called The Exu Experience Atabaques N'Bass Vol.1) which is: becoming the best imaginative and creative artist I can be; and share (new) original and very unique concepts & pieces of art with the whole world.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Oh yes: indeed ! Actually I'm working on several international projects with different fantastic artists. They are all amazing! 

We're in July 2023 right now; so, I will first begin by talking about an awesome collaboration I'm doing with an "award singer and recording artist" from Alabama, USA. His name is Keyon Harris. Together we created a piece of art called "No More. Multidimensional Version 1". We released it on July, the 1st, 2023 on Youtube and BandCamp. ( Youtube Link For your readers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqi8juOt59U )


So, we're now thinking of creating other songs together, and these songs could become an album. I also have to say that, in this very cool creative project, we're blessed to work with two fantastic visual artists who are Wrix2 (Aka Whitney Rix Victory 2), from the USA; and OrYon CreaTion, an extremely talented young artist from France.

Now, in 2023 I also released, on my Youtube channel, a very unique piece of art I created with an awesome artist from Japan named AcidCat. Our project is called MUWAY 3.6.9 and we already released an original video called "Eshu In Muwa"; and then, we released, in May 2023, another version of this song dedicated to the Japanese audience...and it was recorded live in Tokyo ! This video is also available on my Youtube channel and on AcidCat's Youtube channel. ( Youtube Links your readers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lfxyjb_VJnM & https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c7KVsTuHjfA )


Therefore, we're now working on different new ideas and songs; and our goal is to release an album together in the future.

Besides, you may also hear of another collaboration I do have with an original Aborigenese artist from Australia named Boorook. Our music is very interesting and we may play it live in Australia and/or in Europe in the future...

Last but not least, in 2019, I began a collaboration with a star from Burkina Faso, West Africa. His name is Séonifa Dabiré AKA Judicaël Dabiré. We already recorded a live studio session called " Hybrid Napala. Initiation". We will perform together on stage, in France, soon. Also: we will record new songs, in a near future, and we will share them in the form of an album with the whole world, probably in 2024. God willing.

No comments:

Post a Comment