Wednesday, November 9, 2022

DJ Interviews: Ninth Revival

 Here's my interview with the band, Ninth Revival

How'd you get started in music? - I've been playing for as long as I can remember from six when I learned piano from my mother who is a trained classical pianist. I played tenor sax in the school marching band and I was part of a Jazz Ensemble that toured different places in the North East. I was getting really serious about hard rock and metal when I started to play guitar around 12 and the rest is history. 

Who are your inspirations or influences? - From early on, starting at 8 I was a huge Kiss fan, plus loved everything that was cool in the 70s like the BeeGees, KC and the Sunshine Band, Kool and The Gang, George Clinton and Parliament. 
Then usual suspects, Black Sabbath, Led Zeppelin, Blue Oyster Cult, Hendrix, Cheap Trick, The Cars, Metallica, Slayer, Priest, Maiden...Randy Rhodes and Eddie Van Halen took guitar to a whole new level and took my inspiration there too. Of course there are a lot more but because of my age and my very long musical life journey, it would take me forever to get through it. My latest inspirations come from Dark Wave, Gothic Rock and Metal such as Paradise Lost, Type O Negative, My Dying Bride, Siouxsie and The Banshees, Sisters of Mercy, Christian Death and the like.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers? - Just do it. Whether or not you get validation or positive feedback. I rarely if ever ask for feedback on my music before release anymore because if it falls flat it will start making me doubt myself. Not everyone is going to like what you play but there will be those who do. Even if I am the only one that likes what I recorded, I entertained one person. Mission accomplished. 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers? - I don't sound like most metal artists out there (so I've been told). Not everything I play is original (as if there is such a thing as truly original music) but I try to emulate other musicians and vocalists but fail at it miserably.

I had just released ASHINA in early October,  plus under my solo project I am collaborating with Adam Hyman for a Black Sabbath cover, INTO THE VOID. A slower and heavier version. It's worth checking out. I do everything on my recordings, so I have no gigs, cause I have no band to back me up at this time. 
On occasion I have shared the stage at Demonscar shows to end their set. I love performing live and grab the chance any time it comes along. 

No comments:

Post a Comment