Wednesday, November 2, 2022

DJ Interviews: Bob Westlake

 Hey there guys here's my interview with Bon Westlake


ow'd you get started in music?

I have been playing guitar since I was 13 or 14 and I am still learning! I have played in a couple of pub bands in the early days and more recently have got together with buddies for ad hoc gigs.  Lockdown in 2020 was when I started to get serious about recording. It provided the time and space to do it and now with the family grown up and making their own lives and no longer having to do the 9 - 5 grind means I am able to continue that journey. 




Who are your inspirations or influences?

Well growing up in the 60s and 70s I guess inevitably means I am subconsciously influenced by that era. Rock, folk and prog rock feature heavily in my listening tastes. In particular Mike Oldfield, Pink Floyd and I love Roger Waters solo work. That is where I probably get my thoughts on including sound effects from, such as the horse galloping.  I also love the more melodic symphonic metal songs of Nightwish and Within Temptation for example.  One of my instrumental songs on the album Songs from the Pump House released in July I named NightMic because when it was finished and I was listening to it I could hear influences from Nightwish and Mike Oldfield so named it as a sort of homage. 



What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Tough question as everyone is an individual. It really depends on why people want to do music. For me its a love affair so I write and perform the music I love. If artists are true to themselves then even if the music is not commercially successful, they have a body or work they can be very proud of.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

It's not something I consciously do. I write and perform songs that I have been inspired to do. As an artist one just hopes that somebody out there gets enjoyment from and connects with the music.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

My last album Songs From the Pump House was released just a few months ago. I am already starting to write new songs or bits of music that just happen creatively.  I may well start to release music as and when they are recorded rather than wait until I have 8 or 9 songs for a new album. I sense that people listen to individual songs these days rather than whole albums.

Along with Raquel we formed an acoustic duo and we have done several gigs in and around the town where we live. We were particularly honoured to be asked by the Town Council to play at the official street party for HM the Queens Platinum Jubilee celebrations in the summer. An amazing experience.  We have just been booked to play at the official Town Council Christmas Lights switch on and market on 26th November. Expect I am going to need that Christmas jumper lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment