Sunday, January 10, 2021

DJ Interviews: Melanie Jane

Hey there  guys, DJ Dizzy here & this is my interview with a singer named Melanie Jane who shared with me her musical origins.

How'd you get started in music? 

 

When I was about 27 I was walking in the park in Darlington and started getting cool psychedelic music in my head and couldn’t play any instruments at that time. I bought a guitar and a Russ Shipton chord learning manual and learned some chords. And not long after I started writing my own songs. But totally forgot that psychedelic music in the park!  

I then played in a few bands over the years and played with some fab musicians, in November 2018 Emerald Stone was formed and we released the “Magic Carpet” ep in 2019.  

started to play solo in June 2019 and bought a keyboard/synth. I have released 2 eps “In The Moonlight” and “All in a Moment” and am currently working on the next solo ep “Out of Nowhere”. 

 

 

Who are your inspirations or influences? 

 

At an early age I bought all The Beatles albums, and used to watch them on television and their films. They are so inspiring with their creative music and lyrics. Other influences Hawkwind, 60s 70s Pink Floyd, David Bowie, Rolling Stones, Toyah, Gong, The Stranglers, The Primitives, The Moody Blues, Heather Nova and many more! 

 

 

What advice would offer aspiring performers? 

 

Enjoy the moments of playing live, even if you feel nervous. It took me ages to actually start performing solo due to not having the confidence. But loved as soon as I did it!  


 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers? 

 

I also write the songs in the band Emerald Stone and with both the band and my solo a lot of the music has a psychedelic, prog/folk feel to it. You definitely don’t hear that in the charts now a days!   

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future 

 

The band has taken a pause due to the current situation.  

For my solo I’m currently working on the next ep called “Out of Nowhere” and am due to release the next single “Over the Horizon” in Jan or Feb 2021 and hoping to play a few festivals in 2021! 


Special thanks to her for doing this interview, & I wish her lots of luck in her music so until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment