Thursday, August 1, 2019

DJ Interviews: The Zap Guns

Hello everyone Its DJ Dizzy back with another interview this time with a band who call themselves the Zap Guns




How'd you get started in music? (Vince) by listening to my father’s collection of vinyls and music cassettes. I actually started to play the piano, but soon realized it wasn’t my thing...when I finally put my hands on a guitar it suddenly clicked! (Matte) My mom and dad were both rock music lovers. I went to work with my dad a lot when I was very young and the oldies station played a lot of early 60s music, early Beatles and Beach Boys, Ronettes, Smokey Robinson, a little Elvis; and my mom loved the later Beatles and late 60s and 70s music. I didn’t really fall in love with playing until I figured out how to write my own songs, and that’s all I ever wanted to do since.


Who are your inspirations or influences? (Vince) major influences are old school rockers such as Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Saxon, AC/DC, Santana, Hendrix, etc...then, when I was 13 I discovered Metallica, and everything changed! (Matte) Mine are similar, and so are Michael’s, but my early years were more focused on The Beatles and The Beach Boys. I was 12 when I heard Rancid and punk rock and I started taking music seriously, especially bass. I also wanted to write lyrics that were like my literary heroes, especially Keats. With The Zap Guns, we’re really trying to tap into the older Rock ‘n’ Roll influences and make some timeless songs, while keeping the intensity of the hard rock and punk influences.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers? (Vince) practice, be patient, have fun and practice some more. (Matte) Don’t practice too much. Play with people who have very different ideas and personalities from you so you’re constantly challenged.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers? (Vince) we kick ass, literally. (Matte) When we’re not kicking ass or reading poetry, we’re trying to carve out an area in rock that seems to be neglected right now: somewhere less heavy and more melodic than hard rock and much heavier than Indie rock.

Any new gigs or albums in the future? (Vince) of course, we’re just warming up! (Matte) We have about half of a full-length album written that I can’t wait to get to work on. It’s definitely going to have some serious hooks like the EP, but will also be heavier at times and have more stylistic variety.

special thanks to them for doing this interview & I wish them nothing but luck in their career.
So until then I'll catch you on the flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment