Thursday, October 22, 2020

DJ Interviews: Chanel Number 1

Hey there guys DJ Dizzy here & I had the honor of interviewing a band who answer to Chanel Number 1 as they spoke on their musical career.



How'd you get started in music?
You could call me a late bloomer as I only started playing guitar in my 30's and that sparked the urge to write my own songs. Although I did quite a lot of creative writing throughout my life, it was only in 2019 that I entered a local South African songwriting competition, reaching 15th place, I couldn't find a singer and had to resort to singing myself. It was only then I thought okay, maybe I should pursue this incredible dream in music as a songwriter. So October 2019 I released my single, Just because of you. The journey has been amazing so far and I have met the most wonderful artist across social media.  

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I must admit I'm an Elvis Presley fanatic. His energy and passion for music is inspiring. He'll remain the king of music for me. Female artists such as Dolly Parton, Cher, P!nk, Jewel and Carrie Underwood impress me with their artistry. Ed Sheeran, Lewis Capaldi and John Meyer are also superb. My hope would be to become a better songwriter and aspire to write songs others would find meaningful.

What advice would offer aspiring performers?
As I'm a complete newcomer myself in the music world, I would say keep your dream alive, work towards it every day and don't give up.

How do you set yourself apart from other bands or singers?
At this stage I'm still finding my feet and really exploring different genres. The songs I have released range from folk to rock. With each song I release I serve the song as best I can with the variety of genres that are available to me. At this stage the 6-8 week release strategy is working for me and I hope my consistency will pay off in the long run. I am also an avid supporter of indie artists, I like supporting them, sharing their content and making playlists. I don't really have a gimmick or strategy to set myself apart. What I do know is that I am a nice person and want to remain true to myself. What you see is what you get.

Any new gigs or albums in the future
Yes, I have another rock release, called Hercules, planned for the end of October 2020. It is a high energy rock song with beautiful guitar work. Gigging hasn't been an option for me due to lockdown measures still in places in South Africa.

As this year has been a bit of a let down due to the pandemic, artists and people all over the world trying to get back on their feet again, I plan to release my first Christmas song. We all need some positivity and above all hope.

I have high aspirations for 2021, working on songs that capture my heart and hopefully will touch those who listen to it as well. The best is yet to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment