Wednesday, November 7, 2018

DJ's Spotlight: An interview with Solarist

Hello everyone DJ Dizzy here & I interview a band who answers to the name of Solarist who had a lot to say regarding their success. Enjoy!


How'd you get started in music?

Tom (Frontman):
“I started Solarist officially 5 years ago, but I’ve been playing, and writing music since I was 12. I believe it was the first time I got a Nirvana CD that my life changed. I was drawn to the raw passion in the music. It really just snowballed from there. Music is my life. I think everyone has a similar story. Just insert whatever Band name.”

Drew (Drummer):
“I started playing the summer after fifth grade.  I was at a family friends house one day and started playing on the drum set that they had.  By that Christmas I had my own kit and never looked back.  It's funny because I always wanted to play guitar.  I thought about just doing both.  One day my dad gave me a Sevendust cassette, and I was like screw playing guitar I'm going to be a drummer.”

Fred (Bassist):
“Started playing guitar in my early 20's. Learning basic cords and easy scales. Then I picked up a bass, and learned some Tool songs. I was instantly hooked. Started playing with a few buddies, and got on a few shows. Getting on stage was the best high I have ever had. That is what makes me strive to put on the best show I can.”

Malcolm (Guitarist):
“I picked up a guitar when I was 12 after growing up on alternative rock radio during the 90's; I practically begged my dad to buy me a guitar for Christmas. Music has always been a subconscious attraction to me, after learning some simple riffs (aka "Iron Man" and "Come As You Are") I had my mind set on becoming a musician. I was further dedicated to music after hearing Nirvana's "In Utero" for the first time.”

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Tom (Frontman):
“I grew listening to Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Smile Empty Soul, Deftones, and Nine Inch Nails. They.... spoke to me. I was kind of a weird kid. I felt like they understood me. Lately I’ve been listening to 50 Cent a lot.... like a lot.”

Drew (Drummer):
“I grew up on  Kiss, Metallica, Iron Maiden, and believe It or Not Elton John, and Billy Joel.  When I got older it was all Rush, Dream Theater, and Sevendust.”

Fred (Bassist):
“My biggest influence is Justin Chancellor of Tool.”

Malcolm (Guitarist):
“The biggest musical influence I have is Kurt Cobain, call it a cliche but Cobain was a musical genius. As I read about Kurt I started to respect him as an artist. He changed the music industry with songs that were written while he was couch surfing between friends and family in the poor lumberjack town of Aberdeen, WA. He proved the philosophy that through dedication and hard work anyone can make their dreams come true.”

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

Tom (Frontman): 
“I’d say play from your heart. Be different. Don’t worry about if anyone likes it. Give it everything you have..... and Practice.”

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Tom (Frontman):
“We have tons of stuff coming up. We have 2 dates in Spartanburg, SC at a place called GroundZero on the 14th & 28th. After that we have The Masquerade in ATLANTA, GA for the Chester Bennington/Linkin Park Mental Heath Awareness Charity October 4th. Then we will hit GroundZero one more time on the 13th before we take a small break, and work on recording bonus tracks for our second single “Radio” release.”

“We dropped our latest record “Slave” April 8th this year, and followed up with our first single “Illustrate” with bonus tracks April 20th.... so we aren’t in a huge rush to cut another record at the moment. More interested in pushing this one.”

I wish them nothing but luck in their careers & success so until then I'll catch you on the flipside.

Stay Awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment