Friday, November 4, 2016

An Interview with Eric Stuart

Hey there one & all its the DJ here & I'm proud to present an interview that I had the pleasure of doing while back with actor/singer Eric Stuart. For those who don't know him he's a folk rock singer whose also known for his voice work in Pokémon & other well known shows but as part of a report he took the time to answer some questions that I sent to him.


When did you get started in music?
 -I first really picked up a guitar in 8th grade. We had a music teacher that thought it would be cool to form a rock band out of the class. He went around the room and asked what we all wanted to play. I had a guitar at home that I was messing around with a bit so I chose guitar. He taught us rock songs from all the classic rock groups like the Stones, the Who, anything we would bring him. That year we played for the school assembly and I was hooked.
 
 
What are your inspirations?
-My hero is Buddy Holly. I am also a huge fan of Bruce Spingsteen, Cat Stevens and Elvis. I have always been drawn to a good song, a cool vibe, and a honesty to the performer. I strive to do the same. I mostly write what I know. I find the listener relates more to music that comes across as real. I may put it in a story but the underlying emotion is always something I have experienced. Songwriting is my therapy. It helps me connect with people. There is nothing more satisfying than having a fan say ‘Your songs move me’.
 
How do you think rock music in general has impacted or revolutionized American culture?
-Rock used to be the rebellious music. The stuff your parents and society shunned so it was picked by the youth. Now that is really not the case. Rock is pop. Pop is popular. The machine behind many of the bands/artists that are out now are so groomed that there is really not a lot of rebelling. I find very few bands I actually want to listen to, let alone believe. There are exception but overall once big corporations realized that rock was a money maker it became mainstream. I am a mainstream rock guy and was never part of any rebellious band but I always played what was truly honest music. I think image over substance has ruined a lot of what rock is today. That is the risk you run when what is cool gets gobbled up by everyone, it then becomes the norm.
 
Any new material?
-Yes, I am in the middle of recording/producing our 8th album. It will be out by mid-summer 2012. It learns toward the guitar-driven rock/pop that I love. Strong songs with very cool production. Should be one of our best.

So anyway that was a while back (About 3 years ago.) But aside from that
here's one of his songs that he did.

Eric Stuart band- Staring you in the face

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KIAUbiEQ_MI

No comments:

Post a Comment