Wednesday, January 18, 2023

DJ Interviews: Frank Joshua

 Here's my interview with singer Frank Joshua



How'd you get started in music?

Like most people I started playing in bands and writing songs at school when I was about 16.  I didn’t really mean for it to become a career but it kept coming back to me whenever I tried to leave it alone, so here I am.  Again!

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

I’m mostly interested in songs.  The basic melody, chords, lyrics of them.  So, anyone who writes great songs appeals to me.  I can go from Prince, Bowie or Prefab Sprout to Lizzo, Taylor Swift or Dua Lipa – it’s all about the songs for me.

 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Stop listening to other people and start listening to yourself.  It’s a cliché but it’s so hard to do.  Writing, singing and performing are very revealing things to do.  You expose parts of yourself, often without quite realising it, which can make you seek external reassurance.  And if you look for that in the wrong places it can take you away from where you need to be.  So, stay strong and find yourself in there.

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

Not using my face or image, as part of the promotion, is unusual in the social media age, I think. Plus, I’m not afraid to jump genres and work in a counter-intuitive way with remixers and collaborators.  I work up from the song each time, which feels like an old-fashioned way of doing things, but it works for me.

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future

We’re still working on a summer schedule of shows, and my second album is just out/out on Friday it’s called ‘Talk Of Things’ and includes lots or remixes from the first album ‘Sense Life’ as well as a couple of brand-new tracks.  Next up we’ll be releasing tracks form the 3rd album starting with ‘Bluebell Wood’ in February.  It’s a journey that seems to be speeding up all the time but I love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment