Monday, May 4, 2020

DJ Interviews: Calling All Astronauts

Hey there people DJ Dizzy here & I had the esteemed pleasure of interviewing a band who call themselves Calling All Astronauts & they had so much to share on their success & humble beginnings.


How'd you get started in music?
Paul and J learnt to play guitars in their teens , me, I’m just a blagger, I taught myself music production and programming watching youtube videos,
I can sort of hold a tune as long as it’s in a suitable key, so I do vocals. We used to be in a band together year ago, there was then a big gap when we
All did other things, J and I formed Calling All Astronauts and when our original bassist left, Paul was the obvious choice, we are totally DIY we do everything
Ourselves, that way we don’t have a label telling us what to do

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I think every song you hear influences you in some way, I hear different genres and try to work our the production techniques. Musically Calling All Astronauts
Are strongly influenced by 80/90’s alternative bands like Ministry, sisters Of Mercy, New Order etc, but we try to put a modern spin on everything we do

What advice would offer aspiring performers?
 Work really hard, don’t believe the hype that the internet has made it easier for independent artists, because now there are fifty times as many bands going for the same slots.
Never send out a demo unless it sounds amazing, you need other people to love it, not just your mum and your girlfriend. When playing live always watch all the other bands on the bill.
Use social media, but never act like an asshole, no matter how good your music is, it doesn’t make you any more important than anyone else.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
 I think making music for a very niche market makes us quite different than most acts straight away, we know what music we want to make,
We make music that we like and if others like it, it’s a bonus. We don’t try to be popular, popularity isn’t a way to measure good, after all Hilter and Mussolini were both popular

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
We have our third album “#Resist” out on the first week of June, we’ve worked with multiple Grammy winner Alan Branch on it, and it sounds fantastic, it’s taken us more than two years
To make, it started off with the three of us making it, but J has an ongoing family crisis, so most of the album is just Paul and myself, so it’s quite different than our previous two albums, I’m very excited about it

I have a feeling it’s going to be very well received.

Special thanks to them for doing this interview & I wish them nothing but luck in their music & their career so until then I'll catch you on the flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment