Saturday, April 13, 2024

DJ Interviews: Cherenkov

 Here's my interview with singer Cherenkov who sat down with me to discuss his mucial orgins



How'd you get started in music?
I started off playing guitar. I'd always wanted to be able to play, so bought myself a cheap electric guitar and started to learn. Pretty soon I’d found my way round a few cover versions and even written a few of my own. 
I jammed a bit with friends, but it never really came together, so I really then just played for pleasure.
A few years later I was asked to play bass in a friends band “Sons of Sandoz”. We soon had a few tracks down and started gigging. I really enjoyed that and learned loads in the process. 
Sandoz didn’t last too long. After that I played in another couple of bands, but life got in the way. 
I carried on playing by myself at home and writing a few bits. I recently figured I’d try to get some stuff recorded. I set up a home studio and Cherenkov was born.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I love all kinds of music but was really into thrash/death metal for a while. Slayer, Sepultura, Orbituary, Napalm Death etc. I loved the intensity of it. Although I’m not making metal I think there I’ve brought a bit of intensity of it with me. 
I guess what I’m doing now is a little closer to Nine Inch Nail Nails or Ministry. Perhaps with more of a dance music edge to it courtesy of bands like Underworld and the Chemical Brothers. 
I think I’ve also been influenced by bands such as Death in Vegas and Unkle.
I don’t set out to write or record any particular kind of music. Often the idea I start with churns out a very different end result.


What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
You need self belief and belief in the music you are producing. There are many, many people that will criticise you and tell you that your stuff is no good, especially when they're hiding behind social media. 
It can get you down so some self belief is essential. 
Play with a wide range of people. You can learn something from everyone. Keep an open mind.
Accept any gig you are offered. You can rehearse every day of the week, but you need to practice playing live, how to set up, sound checking, working with other bands. There’s a lot to learn.
Finally, do it because you love it. 


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
That’s a really difficult thing to do. I think bringing some of that thrash metal/industrial intensity into electronic music makes what I do a little different. 
Hopefully, each track I put out is different enough for me not to be shoehorned not any specific genre, but I guess that’s for others to decide.


Any new gigs or albums in the future?
I’d love to have my music heard live, but I’m not sure how practical that’d be. I think I’d just plug my Mac in to the PA and stand about with a beer like Andrew from Sleaford Mods.
Release wise, I’m just putting finishing touches to my next track ‘Oh, She (The Destroyer)’. Hopefully that’ll be released next week.
After that I’m working on a couple of collaborations. One with my old band mate and friend David Jones. We are going to release a 3 or 4 track EP called ‘Gods of Shark Reef”.
This was a project we started a while ago with the aim of making music using what everyone has in their pocket. The three tracks we have are all recorded in to an iPhone using GarageBand.
One just needs a finishing touch and then that will be released. 
David Jones is a great solo singer songwriter. He’s got loads of stuff out there and I’d recommend checking him out. 

The other collaboration is with another friend Jim Claybrook. Jim is the singer in a great rock band Black Hole Jets. Definitely check them out. Their recent stuff is some of the best rock I’ve heard in a long while. 
Jim has written a track that he wanted me to work on. I’ve nailed the basic structure and now we just need to find time to get the vocals down and add the icing to the music. 

I’m really excited about both of these projects. After that I’ll start working on more new stuff by myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment