Sunday, February 5, 2023

DJ Interviews: Patrick Dubuc of Big Bite Games

Hey there everyone its DJ Dizzy here Now normally I interview musicians & singers but this time I'm doing something different, I'm spotlighting a TTRPG creator who has a music based game coming out called Rock Of Ages & his name is Patrick Dubuc of Big Bite Games. He sat down with me to speak on how he got started, You can check out his latest project at the end of the interview so sit back & enjoy.



1. How'd you get started in tabletop gaming?

I think that it started naturally. Let me explain. I always been a game master so I started, many years ago, to write my own adventures, create my own magic items and monsters...

But I really got into TTRPG about 10 years ago when Colin Chapman (at the moment, owner of Radioactive Ape Design), accepted that I write for an upcoming book (Twisted Armaggedon, a supplement for Atomic Highway). While the book never was released, I still have what I write and send it for free at fans that want to expand on Atomic Highway's Core Rules.

After that, I worked for D3 Publishing and did a couple of small contracts left and right.

It's only in 2022 that it really become a passion with my participation to the Breathless Jam. The rest is history!


2. What is it you like about tabletop games?

I think TTRPGs are fun, stimulate our imagination, and promote social interactions in a world where we are all hiding behind our cellphones and PC screens.


3. Which games do you cite as an inspiration?

Commercially, I really enjoyed Pathfinder's game world. It's rich, deep, and complex.

On the indie scene, I really like A Couple of Drakes' Deadbelt for the visual, the innovative game mechanics and the possibility to play Solo OR with a partner!


4. Do you have any advice for people who want to get involved in tabletop?

Read! A lot! Buy some games, study their mechanics and the reasons behind them, find a teammate if possible and maybe start with an existing SRD or a game jam!


5. Any new projects in the works?

Yes! I am currently working on Rock of Ages which is part Rockstar Career Sim and Monster-of-the-Week TTRPG. 

Basically, Rockstars (Players) evolve in a metropolis called Paradise City as Rockstars. In this city, lyrics and song titles can become reality, thanks to an unknown force which is also responsible for giving them the tool to fight all matters of supernatural threats: The Power of Rock!


I also have tons on the backburner:

A Darkwing Duck Fan Game (that wil be available for free).

A Pokémon meets Iron Chef TTRPG where players roams the world looking for inspiration, best ingredients, and compete against other chefs to become the best chef in the world.

A comedy, space exploration, sci-fi TTRPG called USS 404: Planet Not Found where players are part of a ship's crew and in search of a perfect play.

All that and so mucn more... My head is constantly boiling with new ideas!



Special thanks to him for this interview & I wish him luck in his work. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!


Big Bite Games Link 

No comments:

Post a Comment