Saturday, December 11, 2021

DJ Interviews: From Carbon

 Here's my interview with th band  FromCarbon 



How'd you get started in music?


30 years ago I started a band called “Tripwire” in my cousins garage, I was babysitting him and he had a drum kit, he was the only one who could play an instrument so naturally he was in, we thought we were great but the neighbours didn’t agree.


Who are your inspirations or influences?

We all have lots varied influences in the band, we all love Pink Floyd, The Chameleons and The Cure, I’m a big U2, James and Arcade Fire fan I’d say those 3 acts have had the biggest influence on me. Our Bassist is into classical music so we do have quite a good mix. I really love female singers too I adore, Bjork, PJ Harvey , Martha Wainwright, Tanya Donnelly and my favourite singer in recent years is Eliza Shaddad her latest album is my album of the year. I also love Katie Ware (Little Sparrow) and persuaded her to sing on our last album, on a beautiful song called “Slowly Decay”.


What advice would you offer aspiring performers?


Do it yourself, don’t expect anyone to come along and offer you something for nothing, we waited to be signed for years and it wasn’t until I met Simon Duffy (Tri-Tone Records) and told him I wanted to record an album it was my lifelong ambition and I’ve never had the chance, and he was like “Why are you waisting your time doing demos, singles snd ep’s then ? Just record the album before someone dies” it was the kick up the butt we needed. We then recorded our first album “wealth” within 13 months. It was surreal how it all came together so quickly in the end but it had took me 20+ years to believe I could do it.


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?


I think the fact we’re all in our 40s and still improving and writing our best stuff shows the commitment levels we have to being musicians. We’re very good live now and it’s taken years of rehearsals,gigs and tours to get to the point where we are so comfortable on stage that I think it sets us apart. I love playing to people who’ve never heard or seen us before, winning them over and seeing the impact our songs can make is what drives me personally. We’ve had people play our songs at weddings and funerals so we know we can touch people’s hearts. 


Any new gigs or albums in the future?


Yes we’re very busy at the moment recording our third album which is due for release in 2022. We’re airing a few of them at our next gig which is 22.12.21 at the Deaf Institute in Manchester. It’s our only booked gig at the moment but we will be hopefully sorting some dates out for an album launch and From Carbon tour next year. 


Our drummer and I also perform in french band called “Destijl” which is more of an electro/rock style band. Were also recording there next album in December and touring France in May 2022. So we’re extremely busy which is how we like it.  


Special thanks to Scott Harvey for doing the interview & I wish him & his band lots of luck in their music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment