Tuesday, December 10, 2019

DJ Interviews: Residual Self

Hey there one & all its your old friend DJ Dizzy & I have an interview with a band who call themselves Residual Self as they spoke on their musical careers.


How'd you get started in music?
I got my start in music when I was about 14 and my father bought both a guitar and a bass for himself. I watched him play and started messing around with the instruments on my own. I had a few lessons in both guitar and bass, but found bass was more of my calling. At 17 I joined my first band as a bass player, and have been in and out of many since then going from punk to blues to jam bands, until in 2016 when I was 22 I decided to form my own studio project and bring the songs around at open mics. By 2017 I had formed a full band for “Residual Self” and we’re still going strong with the original line up.





Who are your inspirations or influences?

The type of music that caught my attention from a young age was the 90’s Grunge and Alternative scene. Bands like Alice In Chains, Smashing Pumpkins, and Soundgarden to name a few. On the other end of the spectrum, Goth Rock and Industrial Metal are just as much influences with bands such Type O Negative, White Zombie, Nine Inch Nails for example. My ideal sound is combining the two. Goth meets Grunge, or Grunge Noir as I refer to it as.





What advice would offer aspiring performers?

Always be yourself and go with what feels right to you. Don’t try to be a copy of anything else out there. Make sure you have passion for what you’re doing, take pride in what you craft, and above all, perseverance to keep pushing forward and make a name for yourself.





How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

On top of musical influences, I am heavily influenced by sounds and effects I hear in movies, television series, and video games. I am always finding new effects to vary my voice depending on the message I want to convey. My words are always what’s most important to me as a song writer. When you look at our music, we can have acoustic ballads, dark spacey jams, nothing is out of our realm of creativity. I find there’s no reason to restrict myself to be defined by one sound. I change, as well as my emotions, so should my music.





Any new gigs or albums in the future

Since our inception, we put out a batch of 3-5 songs at least once a year. So you should always expect new music annually from us. Right now we have another 3 songs ready to go for when we record. We’ve got our January booked for shows right now, and we’re working on our bookings for the rest of the first quarter as we speak. We’re always open to play more in The New England and Tri State Area, if anyone is scouting for some shows and a new band to connect with, we'd be more than willing to hop on!

Special thanks to them for doing this interview & I wish them luck in their musical career. So until then I'll catch you on the flipside stay awesome Happy holidays to all & to all rock  n roll!

No comments:

Post a Comment