Thursday, September 22, 2022

Dj Inteviews: Muriel Bessman

 Here's my interview with singer  Muriel Bessman

How'd you get started in music?

I started in a music school program at 7 years old, choosing the piano. I never stopped playing and I wrote my very first song at the age of 15. Since that time, I enjoyed playing all kind of music. Under my own name Johanna Saint-Pierre, I started with a Maxi vinyl "Electronic Superstar" in 2000, that I pressed 5OO copies of. It was produced by Marc Ricci ,Producer and DJ at the Hotel Costes in Paris..

Recently, I released 2 EP's with the american producer Brian Bacchus (Gregory Porter, Norah Jones) and a french jazz pianist Rémi Amblard, 1 electro deep house EP with the american producer and DJ, MKL on the american indie label Lilihouse Music ( distributed by the Orchard).

In New-York as well , I recorded a Maxi vinyl, afro house electro style, produced by Jephté Guillaume (bass player for Abstrack Truth, Wyclef Jean, Mary J Blidge, Billy Preston), "l'âme éternelle", that we signed with the american label underground and iconic: Ibadan.
Who are your inspirations or influences?

When I was teenager I loved Prince & the Revolution with his musicians women like Wendy & Lisa & Sheila E.

All the time I was listening to Curtis Mayfield, Georges Benson, Michael Jackson, Marvin Gaye, Stevie Wonder, Aretha Franklin, Miles Davis.

Moreover I was fascinated by the Motown and all kind of American Jazz.

Dealing with French musicians my favorite is Serge Gainsbourg!

Finally I was fond of a lot of British pop artist bands like the Talking heads, The Cure, Kate Bush, Bjork, David Bowie, Goldfrapp, Portishead, Radiohead, Massive Attack and The Rolling Stones as well.

By the way, I opened a show for The Rolling Stones with a rock band called "Laplace" at The Olympia concert hall in Paris. Additionally, we did a tour with the Simples Minds. It was a dream comes true!

Since now 10 years, I discovered the Gospel Music as a member of The Paris Gospel Choir. With the choir, I participated to TV Shows like a one with Pharell Williams for his song "Happy". It was really fabulous.


What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

The same advice that my first producer Marc Ricci gave me: Don't stay on the same song, . produce all the time new songs!

Let me add more recommendations: produce your song, find a label or create your own label if you cannot find one. Make a lot of promotion on social networks and play on live shows even in your bedroom with an i phone that you can post. You will find your fans by this way if the talent is there.


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

First of all, I'm French and I can sing in English and French.

Secondly, I'm a singer songwriter & producer who shares songs production with differents musicians partners. That way in studio I'm learning a lot of "cooking recipes", so I continue to progress. Thereby, my music remains very fresh.
Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Currently I just released my first single "Don't Stop The Music" with the French indie label Passport Songs Music (distributed by Believe).

The style of this song is a very funky 80's one. The label also released an EP with remixes based on this track. In this EP, there are electro , nu Disco, House, Dance remixes produced by 3 DJ's who are Jim Shaft Ryan (Miss Moneypenny’s and Chuff Chuff Parties Club), Milan Tavarez and Agrume.

Finally, a music video directed by Olivier Boscovitch (David Guetta, Bob Sinclar) just released today on my youtube channel. Don't Stop the Music is the very first track from my future album that will come in 2023 and produced by the super great musician and sound enginer Nicolas Bulostin (mixed & recorded Elton John, Georges Michael).

Indeed, it will be my 4th album.

No comments:

Post a Comment