Thursday, September 29, 2022

DJ Interviews: Systematic Doses

 Heres my interview with band Systematic Doses



Systematic Doses

1:50 AM (5 hours ago)
to me
Q: How'd you get started in music?
A: I grew up around music my whole life and the people in it had always encouraged me to pick up the guitar and do music. I played guitar for roughly 5 years, 2007 - 2012 and got extremely frustrated with my skills not being on par with what I wanted to do in my head. Guitar, for me, sorta fell off into the background and I enjoyed life more as a listener. I discovered that I could make music more at my own pace and style in a DAW and decided that I would move forward making music though that. It wasn't until 2015 that I put out my first song "Dɹɹɹɐɐɐɐƃƃƃƃ" on soundcloud and received mixed reviews on that track, I kinda just went at everything blindly and it felt like the guitar all over again! This time instead of dropping it I decided to start learning more about the DAW and the music I was trying to create, it wasn't until 2020/2021 that I really sat down and dedicated myself to my craft, I am still learning to this day!

Q: Who are your inspirations or influences?
A: This is a tough question to answer for me as the influences are wide and varied amongst two primary genres: Death Metal/DeathCore and Witch House. On the Metal side of things, I would say my biggest influences are As Blood Runs Black, Job For A Cowboy, Point Below Zero, All Shall Perish and (Early) Suicide Silence. On the Witch House side of things,  CVL† SH‡†, Crim3s, White Ring, Sidewalks and Skeletons, △Sco△, Open Ocean and ∆XIUS LIИK were probably the biggest influences on the direction of my sound overall. Outside of music genres I am inspired by Horror and Sci-fi Horror movies/video games such as Dead Space and Bioshock, the overall grittiness of those two games in particular made me want to recreate that feeling in music! Music is also a major outlet for my emotions and as much as I hate to say it depression is probably the biggest influence over any genre, movie or video game for me.

Q: What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
A: Have faith in yourself but always understand there will always, always, ALWAYS be someone better than you that you can learn from, I cannot stress that enough! Networking is quite important if not more important than attempting to build a fanbase, always do what you feel is right and don't try to fall into genres. There's always going to be someone who loves your music and there's always going to be a hater to balance that out. Go through and watch different tutorials often on how to do the same thing as you may pick up a nifty trick that speeds up your workflow ten fold that all those other tutorials failed to mention. Never give up, this is your legacy you are laying down here so take it on with that importance about yourself and you will never go wrong! Be inviting and kind opposed to adopting an elitist mindset, some people respect that but there are lots of people, like me, who do not so be careful with what comes out of your mouth online especially, you are a brand and should treat yourself as its representative. Don't worry about finding a label to join, they will find you if that is the direction you wish to go! Also, If you do not promote your own music, who else will?

Q: How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
A: Another tough question that I'm not exactly sure how to answer! I am just myself, feeling my emotions, when I'm making the music, somehow that has forged itself into its own sound and direction. I set a goal in my head to be one of the most down to earth artists you will come across, there is no one beneath me that I am too good to talk to, we all started with nothing right? I am creating the music I want to hear instead of trying to copy someone else's style and people will notice that. I don't typically follow the norms in the music industry, I even strive to do the opposite at times as I've never been a "normal" individual, I've always swam against the mainstream and found my own path. Once that path is in place you'll see people starting to take your path, to me, I am a leader, not a follower, and would rather take a chance at my own path to failure than an already set in stone path to success.

Q: Any new gigs or albums in the future?
A: As far as gigs go, I'm in the works of getting all that figured out right now actually! I will eventually be traveling across the entire USA to do live shows soon enough, a lot of irons in the fire in that regard! Now as new music goes, I am almost finished with my new EP which kinda changes up the style a bit to be a little bit more ambient leaning on some tracks while others are more reminiscent of a metal track despite being entirely electronic, it is also the first EP that I have included my own vocals! The new EP is currently on track to release Q4 2022/Q1 2023, I am also working on a lot of collaborations with tons of great artists! I will be releasing my music on Bandcamp (nab physical releases here), Spotify, Apple Music, Amazon, Youtube, Deezer and Soundcloud to just name a few streaming services that my current songs are and future releases will be available!

No comments:

Post a Comment