Sunday, September 25, 2022

DJ Interviews: Abbey Rae

 Heres my interview with musician Abbey Rae who had so much to share on her musicial beginnings.

How'd you get started on music

I was lucky as a kid. There was an elementary school that was focused on performing arts and my Mom worked really hard to send me there, because I was constantly singing as a kid and probably driving her crazy. I learned classical pieces and music theory. When I was teenager I saved up enough money to buy myself a bass guitar. 

Who are your greatest influences or inspirations?

I learned from older musicians and through trial and error, I have alway had a “good ear” so I could figure things out that way too. As far as my “influences” it is really difficult for me to narrow it down. There isn’t really a type of musical style that I don’t like, (except for maybe “modern country-rock” and “boy bands”). I draw influences for the music that I write mostly from life experiences and even literally sources and transcendentalism. If I had to pick a favorite musician it would probably be Bowie. I have also been inspired by other artists that I have played with, many of them are “underground” musicians who don’t play to a commercial crowd.  

Whats your advice to aspire performers & musicians?

My advice is to not be afraid to be bold and to try to be original, learn from and play with others. I am different from other musicians and artists because I am always trying to do something that has never been done before. 


Any new gigs or albums in the future?

That is really difficult. I am writing new material all the time and I plan to record more this fall and winter. As far a playing out, I guess we all just have to see where the world takes us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment