Friday, May 21, 2021

DJ Interviews: Johnny & The Box

Hey there folks, DJ Dizzy here & here's my interview with Johnny & The Box. Enjoy! 


How'd you get started in music?
I started playing guitar and trying to record my own music from about age 14. I then joined a garage band when I was about 16 yrs old. I then went on to form my first real 'gigging' band when I was at university.

Who are your inspirations or influences?
I have fairly wide/eclectic taste in music. From the 1960s through to now. Some of the music I love  includes: The Beatles, The Rolling stones, Joni Mitchell, Motown, Bowie, Roxy music, Van Morrison, Abba, The Clash, The Police, Blondie, Talking Heads, Joy Division, New order, the Happy Mondays, Shed Seven, Blur, The Cure, U2, The Waterboys, Prince, The Blue Nile, The Smiths, Tears for Fears, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, World party, The Stone Roses, Oasis, Coldplay, Travis, Mumford & Sons, Ed Sheeran etc etc...!!
I like bands/artists who write real songs rather than just dance tracks (although I am not averse to a bit of euphoric dance either!). I like the lyrics to mean something, and for the tunes to catch my ear. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
The only advice that I would offer is to be yourself. Avoid trying to 'be cool' or  following fashions of the day just to 'fit in'. If you attempt to fake it, people will see through you.

How do you set yourself apart from other bands or singers?
I don't really! There are some fantastic artists and talented people out there. I am happy just to create the music that I make, and if people listen, that is a real bonus! I write, perform, record and produce most of the songs that I make. This means that if nobody likes the music, I really have no one else to blame! (Although it is worth saying that I do have some fantastic collaborators. My brother in law and one of my best friends have let me record some of their songs, and even play on the recordings at times).

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
I have a new album of material called 'The Runaways' which is set for release on April 30th 2021. It will be available on all streaming platforms and also for download or to purchase on CD from https://johnnythebox.bandcamp.com . There is also a video to accompany the title track which will be released on my Youtube channel on the same day. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0fbbbLnGe0O67b-pm7e3HA . The pre save link for the album on spotify is: https://ffm.to/e5zb8d4.oem

No comments:

Post a Comment