Sunday, April 25, 2021

DJ Interviews: Thomas Sands

 



How'd you get started in music?

I started playing the guitar in school when I was 14. I and a classmate were taken under the wings of our music teacher who was a professional musician and songwriter, and when he left the job, my classmate, me and another friend of his formed a band, and we played together for about 5 years.

 

After my military service I sold my gear and left my hometown and the band. A couple of years ago, about 35 years later I met my old music teacher who urged me to start playing again and that was the beginning of the Tom Sands adventure.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Oh, that’s a tricky question. I like a lot of different styles, from rock to jazz. I’ve always leaned in the direction of smooth jazz with a touch of funk, listening a lot to Mezzoforte, Stanley Clarke, George Duke and Dave Weckl. But I also love Earth, Wind & Fire, Level 42 and countless other artists. I love funky slap bass lines and horn sections.

 

If you wanna hear some of it, here’s a playlist of musical influences: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/2214kBg4lSyv7fJ9qqPSos?si=NqUFlTp9T1e35Y2w1eRAtw

 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Be yourself and above all listen to yourself. If you think your tune rocks, then it’s a great tune! You don’t need to be perfect or do perfect music, the important thing is that you mean what you say with your music.

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

Well, I don’t know if I’m much different than other independent singer/songwriters, I think we are all driven by a need to tell our stories. I for one use music as a vent, letting out some steam when things in life go south, to react to events and people around me (I know what you want is based on the failed relationship of my wife’s son, Gotta be frank and Damned if I do both stems from bad experiences at work), to show some love and affection to my close ones (Lullaby for Cornelia is for my beloved youngest grandchild, Mr. Christmas is a lovesong for my wife).

 

If someone reads this and cares to listen, here’s my Spotify artist link:

https://open.spotify.com/artist/6dJoJa3rWaN0CAyBNcZ4Pa?si=jL4K9pHiQFuwkFx8bSFIcg

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

My songwriting is a result of what happens to me in life, so yes, there will always be new music coming! When it comes to gigs and playing live, that’s not really my forté anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment