Friday, April 23, 2021

DJ Interviews: Chucky Trading Company

Hi guys, its your old pal The DJ  & here's my interview with the band Chucky's Trading Company as they shared their musical beginnings. Enjoy! 


How'd you get started in music?

I started playing loudly and badly with friends in high school in Johnson City, TN, then moved into more acoustic music with a folk rock group known as Three a.m. We started making a little money playing at a Mexican restaurant and bar called the Chucky Trading Co. Several years later this group broke up and I took a pretty long break from being a musician. About a year ago I took some songs I had been writing to some really talented musician friends and they loved the songs, so we decided to form a collaboration to develop and record this new music I was writing. We took the name of that old Mexican restaurant for the project, calling ourselves Chucky Trading Co. The key other member of this collaboration is Everett Young, who is producing the project. Everett has been a professional musician and producer for many years and he has his own band called Kicklighter. These days, Everett mostly composes film scores.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

I listen to almost all types of music. Songwriters like Paul Simon, Lennon/McCartney, Joni Mitchell, etc., from the folk rock era are big influences. I also love classic guitar rock. More recently, Elliott Smith, Uncle Tupelo, Wilco, Beck, Lori McKenna have been big on my rotation. I really love the music I am hearing from current indie artists I have connected with on Twitter.

 

What advice would offer aspiring performers?

Well, just keep making music! If it’s in your blood, keep doing it and keep growing as artists. Chase your dreams, not somebody else’s ideas about what you should be dreaming. Work with other artists and push out of your comfort zone because there is always more to learn.

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I’m not sure I do, or at least I don’t worry about trying to be different. I just make the music that is in my soul.

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

We’re working on our first CTC album for this collaboration, due fall 2021!!


Special thanks to them for doing this interview & I wish him lots of luck in his music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside!

No comments:

Post a Comment