Saturday, July 9, 2022

DJ Interviews: Tanmatea Shed Project

 Hey there guys, here's my interview with band, The Tamatea Shed Project.



How'd you get started in music?

When I was young I would tell my mum I was feeling sick so she would send me to my grandparents for the day. I didn't really feel sick. I just wanted to play on my Grandfathers Keyboard. I was nothing fancy but you could set up your own drum beats and fills and play whatever you wanted over the top. I would sit for Hours and muck around. That's my first memory of the creative potential of music getting a hold on me. Funnily enough that old keyboard resides in the shed today and I still use it to make music sometimes, including the track Fall Away from our second E.P Akimbo.

Who are your inspirations or influences

I grew Up in the 90s so the bulk of my ealy influence came from bands such as SoundGarden, Pearl Jam, Blur, Massive attack, Nirvana, In my 20s I really got into Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Bowie and The Beatles. Recently I've been listening to a lot of Jazz and Lofi Chill Hop.

My Lovely wife had been one of my biggest inspirations. She brought me my first guitar, An Ibanez steel string Dreadnought not long after we met. It still hangs on the shed wall today and I used it to record our track sublime waltz which is my tribute to her. In all my years of noodling on Guitars, Keyboards, Bongos and Harmonicas she never has never once told me to stop. She also has an amazing voice and sings on our Track Freefall which she did the vocals for in two takes.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Be yourself. Believe in your music. Don't worry about what other people think. If you're passionate and there for the music, I think that will shine through.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I don't really consciously try to. I just make the music I want when I can find the time.

Then I share it with the world and hope it makes somebody feel something.


Any new gigs or albums in the future.


Our Debut Album The Way of the Shed, is just about to be Mastered and will be available September 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment