Thursday, July 21, 2022

DJ Interviews: Nomad

 Heres my interview with singer, Nomad

How'd you get started in music?

Whilst music has always been a big part of my life I never intended to be involved in it like I am now. Has been an accident of sorts. When I was younger I tried to become a professional golfer but when this wasn't possible I needed an outlet for my disappointment. I would write my thoughts down and over time they would sometimes become verses and choruses to make complete lyrics to a song. I started to do this around 2002 and besides the occasional naive submission to a label etc or songwriting competition didn't do much with them afterwards. I lost my dad last year and my mum two years before that so like in 2002 I turned to music again 20 years later to help. Initially I just published my lyrics and then bit by bit learnt what was happening in the industry and what might be possible. In a short period of time I started collaborating with Gary Cubberley and his team at Songbay. My original hope was to have one fully produced song that I could share with my wife and kids but when I learnt about distribution etc started to think I could pursue even further. In a matter of months went from publishing lyrics to releasing “If Only” thanks to the collaboration with Gary Cubberley (Composer/Producer), Chique Sabonsolin (Vocalist) and Songbayteam (band). Since then we have released two other songs with the same team except different vocalists Alan Mueller (“Today Is Nearly Yesterday”) and Lukky (“Fucked Up World”).

Who are your inspirations or influences?

My mum and dad as they surrounded us with music. When we were kids we had a regular routine of going to our local Italian restaurant and then afterwards dancing to loud music like ACDC, much to the displeasure of some of our neighbours.

I love a lot of artists but if I had to name one I'd say my favourite is Bob Dylan. If I ever lyrically get a single verse or chorus close to showing I've been influenced by him I'd be over the moon. Something to strive for but a better chance of winning the lottery.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

I'm not a performer but as a songwriter the advice I'd give is to allow other people to be involved in your journey. Realistically I'm not sure I can pursue this much further but certainly the distance travelled has been the result of the valuable contributions made by others, specifically Gary Cubberley, Chique Sabonsolin, Alan Mueller and Lukky.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

Our collaboration sets us apart I guess. It gives us flexibility to try very different sounds, genres etc.

Any new gigs or albums in the future

At the moment the focus is on trying to promote our three recent collaborations. If we can get further traction on these, like commercial airplay, I'd like to think we have more collaborations to come. I'd like to try a dance pop song but sits outside of my comfort zone lyrically. My mum used to say often if it doesn't kill you it makes you stronger. I take more risks now than before and seems to have helped so may just keep doing so.

No comments:

Post a Comment