Wednesday, June 22, 2022

DJ Interviews: Black Creek Rock

 Hey there guys DJ Dizzy here & this is my interview with band Black Creek Rock



How'd you get started in music?

Matt:  There was always music in my home as a child during the 80s.  My father had a fairly extensive record collection that included, of course, the best of the 60s and 70s:  The Beatles, Stones, Simon and Garfunkel, Motown and a host of other very popular stuff.  He also had a copy of King Crimson's In the Court of the Crimson King.  That album cover scared the living daylights out of me, but the music within affected me to a much greater degree, as it was much different than what was on the radio.

Jeff:  From a young age, I’ve always been fascinated with music.  I grew up with an older sister, and two brothers.  All of them were into music, as well.  We were all in our school’s music programs, at some point.

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Matt:  I've already mentioned the early influence of King Crimson during my developmental years.  At the age of 12, I discovered KISS and the playing of Ace Frehley inspired me a great deal.  Before long, I picked up on Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd.  I was also drawn to more regional talent during my teen years, especially Georgia bands like Drivin' n' Cryin'.      

Jeff:   I grew up listening to what my oldest brother listened to.  We listened to a lot of Van Halen. So, Alex Van Halen sparked my love for the drums and percussion instruments, early on.  Towards my pre-teen years, I got into some of the British bands. Such as Led Zeppelin, and Pink Floyd.  John Bonham just blew me away.  So, between Alex Van Halen and Bonzo, they really did ignite my passion for the percussive side of music.  

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Matt:  I would advise this - Make music that appeals to your senses, rather than attempting to make it for others.  The sheer volume of new music being released makes finding an audience difficult, so there's a very good chance that you and only a few close supporters will be the only ones listening.  In the years to come you're going to look back on your musical endeavors, especially recorded music.  That hindsight will be better if you enjoy your own output.

Jeff:  I would offer some advice for aspiring performers…Write and play music that you love.  Someone else is bound to love it as well.  And keep it up, don’t give up doing what you love.
 
How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

Matt:  We pay absolutely no attention to what is popular at the moment.  We make what we wish.  Those are highly cliched statements, and I know that doesn't automatically sets us apart from others, as I would hope that most artists do the same.  There is such a huge amount of stuff being released, both by the labels and the independents, that anyone can find others doing similar things as themselves.  So I suppose I must say that we don't actually try to set ourselves apart from any other artist.  We're really just being ourselves.  
 
Jeff:  I believe we (Matt, and I) can set ourselves apart from a lot of other bands.  We both have full-time jobs, and have raised, and are still raising kids.  I like to think of us as the working man’s rock n’ roll.  I would love to be able to make music as a full-time career.  

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

Matt:  I'm glad you asked that.  Our third album, Southern Gothic, will be released on all the streamers July 22, 2022.  We're trying some things we've not done before: among them country music.  I've come into possession of a 1974 Emmons pedal steel guitar, and after a little study I've actually managed to get some usable sounds out of it.  We're only using it on a couple of tracks, but that's a start.  Overall, the new album has a broader stylistic range:  We're calling it a rock-country-metal-Americana-piano pop record.  As for gigging, there is not much out there in our neck of the woods:  rural Alabama.  Yes, there are bars where we could land gigs, but we've done that before.  It's quite annoying when you're playing your tunes and the drunks in the back keep calling out, "Play some Metallica!".  Sure, we can play Metallica, but we don't want to.  We want to play our music.

Jeff:  Matt and I, are about to have our third album “Southern Gothic” released summer of 2022.  We still get together to write, and record music.  So, there will be more music coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment