Wednesday, April 27, 2022

DJ Interviews: Spacegoat

 Hey there guys DJ Dizzy here & here's my interview with the band Space goat who shared their musical beginnings



How'd you get started in music?
I was always drawn to music and performing, though I was quite shy about it in my younger years. As a teen I started getting up to do guest vocals with my mates bands and finally joined one of my own in my early 20's. It wasn't until I joined Spacegoat in 2017 that I really found my groove and my own sound though. 

Who are your inspirations or influences?
Believe it or not, while metal is my favourite genre, it was my teen obsession with Hanson that pushed me deeper into music and wanting to play! When it comes to my influences in heavy music, I can credit Guano Apes frontwoman Sandra Nasic, Skin from Skunk Anansie, Chino Moreno of Deftones, Otep, and much of the late 90's and early 2000's nu-metal. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
Have fun with it! Do it for the love of it, and put as much heart and soul into every performance as if you were playing at Madison Square Garden, even if you're in a stage-less corner of a dingy pub! Ultimately if you play your music for you, and perform genuinely, it shines through and whoever is watching will find that infectious and connect with it. Some of our most fun shows have been to small audiences and that's because we rock out and bring the vibe, so never be disheartened by seemingly "small" crowds. 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
We don't try to set ourselves apart, but I think that in not trying, in some roundabout way that actually sets us apart... Does that even make sense? We don't attempt to "be" anything, we are just five mates who really click when it comes to songwriting, and we love to have a good time. Spacegoat is like this rad adventure for us, and the joy and energy we get from being this band seems to just shine through to people. So I think that's what makes us stand out. 

Any new gigs or albums in the future
We're scheduling gigs right now and will be back in the studio in June to record some brand new songs so you'll be hearing a lot from us in the second half of 2022! 

Bonus question: How'd you come up with your band name?

It came about when someone heard the word "scapegoat" incorrectly, haha! Spacegoat had a really fun vibe to it so we rolled with that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment