Wednesday, April 6, 2022

DJ Interviews: Kele Flemming

 Here's my interview with singer Kele Flemming

How'd you get started in music?
I've been writing for many years. For as long as I can remember, I've wanted to be a musician and write about what I see, hear and experience in song. I started a band when I was a 19 year old university student and never looked back!

Who are your inspirations or influences?
They are many! Songwriting - Jane Siberry, Patti Smith, Florence + the Machine, Radiohead, Joni Mitchell.
I'm also inspired by the world around me - the buzz of the bees, the wind in the trees, and so much more.

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?
A few things I've learned over the years...Build a solid team around you of musical collaborators and supporters. You will need people with skills you won't necessarily have to bolster your music, inspire your creativity and help build the business side of your music. Also, spend the time and money on design and branding, it does make a huge difference. You need to find ways to stand out and a good design for a single cover, for example, is a very simple and affordable way to do that. Learn about the business, get good at social media and talking about your music and your creative process. Your fans want to know about this!

And, finally, be true to yourself and follow your vision. I find that when I'm most authentic and stay true to my own vision, that's when things start to go right for me.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
Hmmm, I'm not certain I would say I set myself apart. I feel like I'm part of a broader community of creators and I believe it's a gift to be here and to be able to create and share my creations with the world.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
Yes, I'm currently writing songs for my next album and will start recording this spring. And, as for live music, things are just starting to open up here again in Canada and I'm just starting to book live shows again. I have my first show in Vancouver on April 22nd and then have a series of shows over the next few months on Vancouver Island. So excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment