Sunday, April 3, 2022

DJ Interviews: KENDALL

 Here's my interview with singer KENDALL whose message is that music is medicine which it is.

How'd you get started in music?

My mom signed my sister and I up for piano at a young age (as many mom's do). But I found from the start that I was more of a "by-ear" player and never read music. Then, in the 3rd grade, I got my first guitar. Started with the electric, learning "Highway to Hell" by ACDC as my first song. My dad loved my short-lived classic rock stage. Once I got a cheap acoustic guitar from my favorite beach town in Southern California, the rest was history. From talent shows starting in elementary school, to school fundraisers and community events, I really started to find that playing the guitar, singing, and composing music was something special to my heart. In college, amongst the stress of NCAA division 1 athletics, changing paths into pursuing medicine rather than athletics, and discovering my sexuality, music kept me centered. From open mics to the National Anthem at sporting events to the annual UC Davis Picnic Day, I truly tapped into many performing environments, both solo and with bandmates. Music has continued to be my medicine of choice throughout medical school, and the more I have grown into ME as KENDALL, unafraid to be vulnerable and express myself through music, I have seen my songwriting become more meaningful, relatable, and real. This in itself comes with more pain and heartbreak, but in the end, music continues to connect me with humans, and I believe it is the universal language. 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

Wow. The real question is Who Is NOT an inspiration? I truly appreciate all music for its creativeness and ability to make me feel all different emotions. I would say a few artists who I absolutely admire are the following: LAUREL, HANDSOME, LAWRENCE, Ayoni, DRAMA, Julia Wolf, Bea Miller, King Princess, G-Flip, Dermot Kennedy, Bon Iver, Oh Wonder, Tash Sultana, and Trixie Whitley. 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

Well, I myself am an aspiring performer. I am constantly learning every day. I have probably written about 75 songs, which continues to increase, with so many feelings, life experiences, and influential humans around me, it is hard to stop writing; however, this Slow My Mind Down is my first true release. The process of recording and producing my own music has truly been a learning experience. Tough in so many ways, but totally cool! From every draft to the stage of submitting to labels, to then preparing for a launch, it takes perseverance and belief in your music. Doubt can be destructive. We need to be proud of our work, and believe that it will reach someone out there. Ultimately, we compose and share music to connect with people. If I can even make 1 person feel something, that is enough. 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

A big reason that this is my first single release, is that I have had a bit of a busy life, which will only continue to become busier, but also more fulfilling as I start my Family Medicine Residency in a few months June 2022. I will graduate medical school in May and thereafter road trip back to my home of Southern California to start my residency training at Long Beach Memorial. I could not be more thrilled. I plan to continue to use music as a source of medicine/therapy in my career, as I have used it in several clinical rotations thus far and in the community at homeless shelters, etc. So I joke, that my MD I receive in a month, will stand for "Music Doctor." KENDALL: a musician with a side of doctor. Music heals. So why not combine it in my main gig as a Family Medicine Physician? I think, yes!

I also played division 1 collegiate volleyball at UC Davis in northern California. Music has always been my expressive outlet, and never a job. I plan to keep it that way. We can only be our best selves for others, if we ourselves are healthy and well. 

Any new gigs or albums in the future

Great question! So, Slow My Mind is now out, and I actually co-produced a music video, which gives all the feels. We hope to have the video out in a few weeks!

I have another song that is in the production stage. I just had a meeting with my co-producer and we are totally vibing!! So stay tuned. 

And I just booked a gig at one of my favorite local spots in Chicago, The Friendly Tap for Friday May 13th. It will be a great show with 1-2 other female artists. 

In the meantime, I leave April 3rd for a mostly solo Euro trip to Spain / France / Morocco. And it is such a small world, but the label I am releasing this song with, VDA (V-Dogg), is based in France. So, I am not only meeting them in-person for the first time, but I will be getting into the studio to record a new track while I am there. LIFE IS AWESOME!



Special thanks to her for this interview & lots of luck to her in her pursuits feel free to check out her music by clicking on the link below, & I'll catch you on The Flipside!
Stay awesome & rock n roll!


No comments:

Post a Comment