Tuesday, June 22, 2021

DJ Interviews: Soylent Chiba

 How'd you get started in music?


I wanted girls to like me so i figured playing guitar might make that happen. It didn't, at least not for a few years.
I then met a man with a parrot named Gorlon, and he taught me the kazoo. From then I played in various bands on houseboats across the open seas.
Now I am here composing electronic music for people who can't dance.


Who are your inspirations or influences?
Frank Zappa, Pink Grease, Trouble, Warning, Pink Floyd, Metallica, Iron Maiden, Batman, John Carpenter, Karen Carpenter, Jesus the Carpenter, Kamen Rider Stronger, Karpenter Rider Stronger, Tangerine Dream, Salt N Pepa, Toni Braxton, Aerosmith and Pearl Jam, Van Halen, An Old man fashioning a kayak out of a log, Charles Bradley, Charles Dance, Charles Bronson, Charles Norris, Charles Walk, Charles Sit, Charles Stay, Charles Grodin, Charles Chan, Ray Charles, Green Lantern, Bonzo Dog Doodah Band, Meat Loaf, PIL, Sisters of Mercy, Grug.


What advice would offer aspiring performers?
Firstly: Don't do drugs.
Secondly: Don't stop, never give up, hold your head high and reach the top.
Thirdly:  Say your prayers, take your vitamins and you will never go wrong, brother!
Fourthly: Don't be afraid of your own spooky dooky imagination!
Fifthly: Nobody is gonna hit as hard as life, but it ain’t how hard you can hit. It’s how hard you can get hit and keep moving forward. It’s how much you can take, and keep moving forward. That’s how winning is done.
Sixthly: It’s only a passing thing, this shadow. Even darkness must pass. A new day will come. And when the sun shines it will shine out the clearer.


How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?
I am neither in a band, nor do I sing. I suppose that's how I set myself apart. I was in a band, once, but that... was a long time ago, back when I was sailing the pacific with Gorlon and his crew.
I try to only be better than myself, and learn and evolve from listening to as much music as possible.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?
Gigs, no. I'm not a gigger. Gigging was something I did in the past, with Gorlon. Especially because of Covid-19 If I gig, I might die.
Albums, I have a few. I've got my share of albums and singles galore and here, for you: https://soylentchiba.bandcamp.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment