Saturday, October 23, 2021

DJ Interviews: Maha

 Here's my interview with Maha, enjoy!


How'd you get started in music?

My music adventure started with a guitar. When I was 14, I had to fight for the right to be admitted to the music school classes, which were already fully packed. I’m thankful to my classmate who gave me a place. Since the first touch of a classical guitar, I have fallen in love with its raw sound, which was uncovered with every Spanish and classic song I played.

 

Who are your inspirations or influences?

I could mention hundreds of my music influencers, whom I had the pleasure to see live on gigs and festivals. And one of them is Robert Plant, the legend, and surprisingly a very easy-going person. I will never forget our small talk during Dubai Desert Rock Festival on March 9, 2007. I’m also a fan of Colin James, the Canadian bluesman and outstanding guitar player whose music and vocals inspired me to write two blues songs for my album “I Will Survive” released on October 17, 2021. I enjoy roots, especially blues and jazz renditions by Ella Fitzgerald and Billie Holiday. However, blues is an uncommon genre in my home country of Ukraine, so it was rather challenging to get the preferable sound. And undoubtedly, you may find me on the first row at concerts of such well-known artists as Shinedown, Zakk Wylde, Rob Zombie, Eric Clapton, Slash, Myles Kennedy, Santana, and many more.

 

What advice would you offer aspiring performers?

I would recommend to practice on daily basis to gain solid skills, stay open-minded to creation process and don't be afraid to share your thoughts and beliefs honestly in music. Don't forget that the main part in music is emotions and notes, music theory are just the tools. If you feel your own songs it is likely that they will touch other people as well. Be critical and honest with yourself. 

 

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

My voice and songwriting set me apart from others. Since I write songs by myself I do convey the thoughts that I have strong believes in. I also have Mezzo Soprano voice with bluesy timbre that sounds deeper than female standards. And it is still rare thing to see female playing guitar.

 

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

I’m going to work on new music and get back in the studio if the Covid situation allows.



Special thanks to them for this interviewm & I wish them lots of luck in their music. So until then I'll catch you on The Flipside! Stay awesome & rock n roll!

2 comments: