Thursday, July 1, 2021

DJ interviews: Sophie Dorsten

 



How'd you get started in music?

I joined my brothers in a band when I was 9 years old - I sang and played bass guitar. We performed around town for years. Then my older brother Alex (who I now make my songs with -he produces and does all the instruments) was in another band at the time so our band broke up. I taught myself guitar and started writing songs. Prior to covid I performed around the Phoenix area at least 2-3 times a week. I really miss that, but it has also given me time to write a ton of songs!

Who are your inspirations or influences?

My influences are From Indian Lakes (a band from California - love their chill vibe), Billie Eilish, and Eleni Drake. When I was young it was Adele - her power and dynamics inspired me for my vocals. 


What advice would offer aspiring performers?

My advice would be to perform every chance you get - the constant practice really helps build your confidence and of course makes you stronger in your vocals, performance, and stage presence.

How do you set yourselves apart from other bands or singers?

I try to have my own style and I know you can't please everyone - so being true to myself is most important.

Any new gigs or albums in the future?

I am so excited that my next song "Until June" releases on May 28 - which is also my 19th birthday! Alex and I worked hard on this one and can't wait for the world to hear! This song is about doubt and how it tries to stop you from doing what you want and makes you question yourself and what you should do - the "YOU" in the song is doubt.   
We also plan to release a new song each month for the rest of the year! We've been very busy writing and recording; as well as planning out music videos and promotions.
I am currently performing randomly - not all the major venues are open yet, so it's wine bars and farmers markets right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment